Tax Credit Briefing discussion

Options

Comments

• simon_babbage
    Options
    Hi,

I am inquiring for help or any information whether to find out if there's ever been an appeal to claim back working tax credit after the period of 1 month that they tell you that you should have done?

The reason being I'm 26 and finished a job in February but had no clue about tax credits at all because the job centre didn't say a word about it when I signed off for work.

Should I try and pursue this matter or is it likely a massive waste of time, because I feel if I owed them money from a few months ago they would take illegal action against me to claim it back?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am inquiring for help or any information whether to find out if there's ever been an appeal to claim back working tax credit after the period of 1 month that they tell you that you should have done?

The reason being I'm 26 and finished a job in February but had no clue about tax credits at all because the job centre didn't say a word about it when I signed off for work.

Should I try and pursue this matter or is it likely a massive waste of time, because I feel if I owed them money from a few months ago they would take illegal action against me to claim it back?

They cannot go back more than 1 month under the legislation (except in two situations relating to refugee status and disability).

JC+ clearly should have helped you with the claim, through their in and out of work programme. I would suggest you try both the JC+ and HMRC complaints procedures seeking compensation equal to the lost tax credits.

IQ
  • hollaskywalker
    Options
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone could help me with some information.

My partner and I will be making a new claim to CTC/WTC as we have just had our first child. We are not currently claiming any benefits, waiting for our registration appointment so we can claim child benefit.

I am very confused as to what to put in the income section of the tax credit claim form. From searching around on several websites it states that if your income drops by more than £2500 than the previous tax year you may be entitled to more CTC/WTC. Yet this only seems to apply to people already claiming it.

I am in full time work and my partner has been receiving SMP since the start of the month.

Given that my job role changed at the end of march I will be earning 16.5k per annum and last year I was earning 21k. My partner is going from 15k per year to SMP. We'll be going from 35k to less than 20k

If I put our earnings from 12/13 then I do not think we would be entitled but there does not seem to be anywhere to put this massive change in our income.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Icequeen99
    Options
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone could help me with some information.

My partner and I will be making a new claim to CTC/WTC as we have just had our first child. We are not currently claiming any benefits, waiting for our registration appointment so we can claim child benefit.

I am very confused as to what to put in the income section of the tax credit claim form. From searching around on several websites it states that if your income drops by more than £2500 than the previous tax year you may be entitled to more CTC/WTC. Yet this only seems to apply to people already claiming it.

I am in full time work and my partner has been receiving SMP since the start of the month.

Given that my job role changed at the end of march I will be earning 16.5k per annum and last year I was earning 21k. My partner is going from 15k per year to SMP. We'll be going from 35k to less than 20k

If I put our earnings from 12/13 then I do not think we would be entitled but there does not seem to be anywhere to put this massive change in our income.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You need to fill in the claim form as requested with your 12/13 income.

They will award you tax credits based on that (either an amount or NIL) and send you an award notice.

Once you have that, ring them and give your 13/14 estimate and they will re-calculate them.

Make sure you deduct the £100 disregard for each week your partner receives SMP.

IQ
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

==Many thanks to the OP for this thread and big-up to all the contributors== I need advice for a very close pal.

Using the year ended(2012-2013) as a guide,

-Claimant earn £14,000 on 20 hours a week(overtime included)

-Patner earn £22,800 in the same year working 61 hours(including overtime. Normal hours is 37.5 hours).

- 4 Children (all under 10)

-The patner have been on maternity since last november wo monthly take home has dropped considerably.

HRMC calculator give CTC to be £3509.49

what can d couple do?

Should they ask the HRMC to review the award after it has been approved?

Cheers
  • Icequeen99
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Hi guys,

==Many thanks to the OP for this thread and big-up to all the contributors== I need advice for a very close pal.

Using the year ended(2012-2013) as a guide,

-Claimant earn £14,000 on 20 hours a week(overtime included)

-Patner earn £22,800 in the same year working 61 hours(including overtime. Normal hours is 37.5 hours).

- 4 Children (all under 10)

-The patner have been on maternity since last november wo monthly take home has dropped considerably.

HRMC calculator give CTC to be £3509.49

what can d couple do?

Should they ask the HRMC to review the award after it has been approved?

Cheers

Have they claimed? When did they claim?

If they already have a claim, they just tell HMRC their actual 12-13 income (remembering to deduct the £100 allowed for each week on SMP) and if they have been underpaid they should get that back.

If they haven't made a claim then they would only be able to get 1 month backdating.

IQ
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »

1) Have they claimed? When did they claim?

2) they just tell HMRC their actual 12-13 income (remembering to deduct the £100 allowed for each week on SMP) and if they have been underpaid they should get that back.

3) If they haven't made a claim then they would only be able to get 1 month backdating.

IQ

1) No. They just received the form

2) Thats their 12-13(If it is the same as April 2012 to April 2013)

I think the calculator does all deductions automatically

3) I read it from HRMC wesite that you can only backdate on working tax credit NOT on CTC.

Cheers
  • Icequeen99
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    1) No. They just received the form

2) Thats their 12-13(If it is the same as April 2012 to April 2013)

I think the calculator does all deductions automatically

3) I read it from HRMC wesite that you can only backdate on working tax credit NOT on CTC.

Cheers

They will get one month backdating on CTC if the apply now.

The award will be based on 12-13 income, but if they think 13-14 income will increase by more than £5000 compared to 12/13 they will need to tell HMRC as soon as they get their new award notice.

They should have really claimed last April, shame they missed out.

IQ
  • hollaskywalker
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    You need to fill in the claim form as requested with your 12/13 income.

They will award you tax credits based on that (either an amount or NIL) and send you an award notice.

Once you have that, ring them and give your 13/14 estimate and they will re-calculate them.

Make sure you deduct the £100 disregard for each week your partner receives SMP.

IQ

:T Thank you very much:beer:
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    hello quick question..

I get child tax credits, I'm on income related ESA..I have 3 children..

For the past 18 months my payments have been £615 per month, and last year after renewals I received a lump sum of approx £640 and they said I was being underpaid..

This year I still receive £615 pm and I asked the hmrc for a calculation and they stated I should get £667 pm...

I don't have my renewal forms yet, but is it likely I'll be back paid, or am I getting the right amount...
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure