PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to freeze parsnips?

Options

Comments

• redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah well me being a lazy trout just peels and freezes
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Ah well me being a lazy trout just peels and freezes

I like your style but does it affect the flavour. Me also being a lazy trout has not even started on the parsnips yet.

Mrs VP
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    Not majorly, but try a batch of both and you will taste a difference in them !
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And then...

trashcan_small.gifhow to freeze parsnips?

I'll add your query onto the end of this thread later
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    I have somehow ended up with two huge bags of parsnips that I do not remember buying...but we love roast parsnips in this house and I thought I might prepare and freeze some ready for roasting.

I have some questions if people can help, thank you!

Should I par boil first? (I have read people saying you should and some saying you shouldn't, has anyone tried both and therefore can compare?)

Do I have to open freeze before putting in bags? I have room in my freezer to squeeze bags of prepared parsnips but no room at all to put a tray/plate of parsnips to open freeze, would this be a problem?

Can I cook them from frozen?

I saw someone mentioning putting honey on before freezing them....I usually add honey to my parsnips about 10 mins before they are cooked, how does it work tossing them in honey before freezing?

Thanks so much in advance!
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I par boil mine and then put portions in a freezer bag and freeze. When I need them for a roast dinner I take them out as Im starting to prepare everything and they are defrosted by the time they're ready to go in the oven. They are absolutely fine this way!

Btw, delia does a lovely parsnip soup. Oh and she does parmasan parsnips for christmas which can also be frozen. Par boil then straight into a flour, parmasan (plus s&p) mix to coat whilst the are still steaming. Gorgeous!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    I par boil mine and then put portions in a freezer bag and freeze. When I need them for a roast dinner I take them out as Im starting to prepare everything and they are defrosted by the time they're ready to go in the oven. They are absolutely fine this way!

Btw, delia does a lovely parsnip soup. Oh and she does parmasan parsnips for christmas which can also be frozen. Par boil then straight into a flour, parmasan (plus s&p) mix to coat whilst the are still steaming. Gorgeous!

Thank you very much! No Parmesan parsnips here as I am allergic to dairy but I will check out the soup :)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I just prepare and open freeze, when you need to use them, take them straight out of the freezer and pop them in with the spuds for 15-20 mins
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I just peel them, bung them into bags and freeze them - I havent really found much difference in cooking times or taste.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do the same as meritaten. Never bother with par boiling, open freezing or whatever.

When I cook them, I take a few out of the freezer about 1/2 hour before I want to cook them. Then drizzle honey over and cook for about 1/2 hour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure