PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got mine from ebay, just picked the cheapest... they are ok, producing good kefir every day and growing a lot! They do create membranes ( I had another batch that a colleague gave me that did not produce membranes), but I can't find any info about this and the kefir is good...
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought mine from eBay too, if you want I can send you some, just pm me!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caterina I just got home and there in the post was some lovely grains from you. thank you so much!!

I have them sat in a little milk to recover from their journey and can't wait to get started with them again
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Caterina
    Options
    You are welcome, shykins! At the moment I am not taking dairy so a friend has agreed to look after my remaining grains and give me back a few of the growth when I go back to dairy.

Great that we can move them around for free here on the OS forum instead of buying and selling like on gumtree. Pass yours on when they grow more babies!
  • shykins
    Options
    shame you cant have dairy right now, i shall certainly pass them on when they grow as have a couple of friends interested in trying them

• Caterina
    Options
    I am keeping a small batch going anyway, as I will go back to dairy in 3 weeks (long story).

Today I was in the gym changing room and I overheard a lady with an Eastern European accent talking about looking into fermented food. I apologised for eavesdropping and asked if she would like a few kefir grains in 2-3 weeks, she was absolutely delighted! She told me she is from Latvia where they have a rich fermented foods culture (forgive the pun!).

So I have another destination for my future "babies". Meanwhile I will give my kefir to my friend for her baking, or even compost a bit of it, as I will have a very small amount for a while, until I get more.

Let's keep passing it on!
  • shykins
    Options
    oh glad you arent off dairy for too long!! kefir is huge in eastern europe so well done for passing some more grains on

mine (yours) seem to be recovering from their journey and produced a little yesterday so hopefully more today

just a question are you all just keeping yours on the kitchen top in this cold weather or have you moved them somewhere warmer?

• Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm still keeping them in the kitchen, they produce so much kefir and grow so fast I don't know what to do with them! I put half of my grains on an apple cake I baked yesterday :)
  • shykins
    Options
    mine are now on the kitchen near the window but i do wonder if its a little cold for them there. perhaps i will move them to warmer part of kitchen

• Caterina
    Options
    I tend to keep them on the kitchen counter which is not far from the cooker so it is fairly warm, but now that I am not having any, it is dormant in a largish jar of milk in the fridge. Monday some of it will go to the Latvian lady so I won't have to use quite so much milk to keep my little ones going until end January.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure