PDSA and neutering

Options

Comments

• simontheiceman
    Options
    Crumbs, the tone of this thread is a bit intemperate (I know I have been a bit sharp in the past but this is a bit harsh).

If you are using the PDSA Petaid service via a private vet then you owe it to that vet to get your wormers, flea treatment and neutering from them. Without that income the PetAid scheme just isn't worth it to the private vet and by not doing these simple things you risk loss of the service for everyone. It is aprt of the PetAid provision-of-service rules that it is to be expected that clients will source routine care from them.

If it is a PDSA hospital, that is a different set-up altogether, but please remember that they are only a charity and have no outside help.

No-one has a "right" to a pet but they are responsible for those that they own. Some folks change circumstances and the PDSA helps in that circumstance. Its a great service but no-one should expect it as a "given".

£45 for rabbit castrate is cheap but not if you haven't got £45 or £4-50. In these cases a bit of phoning around can hep to garner extra funds.

Big question is tho... why castrate a rabbit at all?
    Garantissez-moi de mes amis, je saurai me defendre de mes ennemis
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crumbs, the tone of this thread is a bit intemperate (I know I have been a bit sharp in the past but this is a bit harsh).

If you are using the PDSA Petaid service via a private vet then you owe it to that vet to get your wormers, flea treatment and neutering from them. Without that income the PetAid scheme just isn't worth it to the private vet and by not doing these simple things you risk loss of the service for everyone. It is aprt of the PetAid provision-of-service rules that it is to be expected that clients will source routine care from them.

If it is a PDSA hospital, that is a different set-up altogether, but please remember that they are only a charity and have no outside help.

No-one has a "right" to a pet but they are responsible for those that they own. Some folks change circumstances and the PDSA helps in that circumstance. Its a great service but no-one should expect it as a "given".

£45 for rabbit castrate is cheap but not if you haven't got £45 or £4-50. In these cases a bit of phoning around can hep to garner extra funds.

Big question is tho... why castrate a rabbit at all?

don't rabbits go a bit nuts / frustrated if you don't castrate them? i had a male who got a bit aggressive and tried to hump everything before he was done, afterwards he was a calm, gentle little thing. one of his doo-dahs didn't descend either so i assume if he hadn't been castrated that it would have caused problems in later life?
  • homeworkgirl
    homeworkgirl Posts: 373 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2009 at 4:40PM
    Options
    We have always had our males castrated because they just wouldn't leave the females alone if they weren't done. Also we were advised by both private vets to have both the males and females done and most of the Rabbit rescues including the PDSA promote neutering of both sexes. All of our bunnies of both sexes calmed down considerably after they had been neutered.

Simon I am not too sure what you mean by the Petaid scheme through a private vet, I never heard of that when I used to use our private vet, but in this particular case I am referring to a PDSA hospital.

I am sorry if my last post came over as a bit harsh but as a pet lover who has worked for 35yrs to enable good veterinary care for all my pets which I love dearly, I resent the insinuation that I am a scrounger who expects to have veterinary treatment for nothing.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some private practices see PDSA customers when there isn't a Hospital in the area, I don't know how it works though. I hope you find the right male for your girl & that they get on & she stops pining x
  • simontheiceman
    Options
    Some private practices see PDSA customers when there isn't a Hospital in the area, I don't know how it works though. I hope you find the right male for your girl & that they get on & she stops pining x

ONLY if they are part of the PDSA PetAid scheme and IF the client has managed to preregister - it is a preregistration scheme.
  • simontheiceman
    Options
    If I could just URGE everyone who gets council tax benefit or housing benefit and lives within the scope of a PDSA PetAid practice to go and get registered my life would be a lot easier.

Not all private practices offer the PDSA PetAid scheme - it relies on the practice wanting to provide it. It is usually post-code limited as well (usually to reflect an area of particular need). The PDSA website gives details of practices offering the scheme.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I am sorry if my last post came over as a bit harsh but as a pet lover who has worked for 35yrs to enable good veterinary care for all my pets which I love dearly, I resent the insinuation that I am a scrounger who expects to have veterinary treatment for nothing.

Well can I suggest if you don't want to come over that way you don't start criticising a charity who as I far know rely on the good will of donations to keep going and don't recieve any government funding. Who cares if they charge £200 to castrate a rabbit your getting something for nothing which the rest of us have to pay for. Be thankful for their assitance and don't complain about them. If the PDSA is that bad you don't have to use them.
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrcol1000, i think your posts are coming across as harsh and slightly rude, may i suggest you chill out a bit?
  • homeworkgirl
    homeworkgirl Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Well can I suggest if you don't want to come over that way you don't start criticising a charity who as I far know rely on the good will of donations to keep going and don't recieve any government funding. Who cares if they charge £200 to castrate a rabbit your getting something for nothing which the rest of us have to pay for. Be thankful for their assitance and don't complain about them. If the PDSA is that bad you don't have to use them.

1. Actually mrcol, over the years that I worked I donated a fair bit of money to the PDSA myself and a few years back was also a voluntary helper. I never said they were "bad", I merely offered an opinion about one particular service that I feel they could subsidise a bit more.

2. I am not getting "something for nothing" from them at all as I have today given a home to an already neutered rabbit.

3. Maybe one day you might be unfortunate enough to lose a husband/wife leaving you with financial hardship and then see just how you feel having worked all your life when someone like you comes along and insinuates that you are a scrounger just out to get "something for nothing".
  • Heidi301272
    Options
    You know.... i have just read through what everyone has posted here and i am amazed at how some people think if you have to use the PDSA for whatever reason you are not a responsible pet owner and should consider having a pet in the first place. How much do you all like that high horse you are on!! You know who you are.

How dare you lecture anyone about caring for their animals when you obviously do not know an individuals circumstances.

Its easy to sit in judgement when the only individual you have to face is not the person you are berating, but just a computer screen.

The point im trying to make is if you have a pet in your possesion, (however or why it happens to be there) you do the best you can for said pet. Unfortunately the PDSA is the only option for some. (God bless the PDSA and all who use her.)

At least they are not just letting their pets go it alone or suffer which you read about all to frequently in the papers nowadays!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure