Defence Estates Charges

Options
Has anyone succesfully appealed charges from defence estates?

I have been charged a fortune to replace some couches which have a few small stains. It seems far too much and im sure they can be removed by someone with a professional cleaning product.

Any advise would be great

Comments

• laurax_2
    laurax_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Please let me know if you have any luck?! We've just had our first MQ, first house and no cash, so we have army furniture. The sofa has marks all over it, that have appeared out of no where, and im dreading march out. We need it so just but a throw over it. Im sure it will come off if proffesionaly cleaned, b ut i dont want to do that just incase it makes it worse
  • ICATQ
    ICATQ Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    If you get something professionally cleaned and they make it worse then they are liable to sort it out !!

DE work to a charter or did. There is an appeals process so use it. Dont back down. I have argued the point and not been charged in the past.

Alot depends on how pendantic the DE rep is.
  • AFF_company_representative
    AFF_company_representative Posts: 90 Organisation Representative
    Options
    It is not Defence Estates that is responsible for furniture, it is the Accommodation Services Unit (ASU). There is a procedure for disputing a charge but it should have been initiated at the time the debit voucher was raised. If you consider the damage caused is either due to fair wear and tear, or you are not responsible for the damage that has occurred, then it is your prerogative to dispute the bill. In this event you should not sign the debit voucher, but write DISPUTED across the top IN RED. The ASA should then give you a Disputed Charges form for you to complete Part 1. The ASA should then complete Part 2 and send it to his/her Operations Manager with the Debit Voucher and any relevant documentation for arbitration. The Operations Manager will then take into account the written explanation/s and if in his/her considered opinion the charge should not be raised, the Debit Voucher will be cancelled. However, if the charge is considered to be fair and reasonable the Operations Manager will complete Part 3 of the form and forward it with the Debit Voucher and any relevant documentation to the Accommodation Services Manager at Head Office, Logistic Support Group for a final adjudication. He/she will then take in to account the written explanations and either cancel the Debit Voucher or, if he/she considers the charge to be fair and reasonable, the Debit Voucher will be forwarded to your CO/OC to initiate recovery action.
    "Official Organisation Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Army Familes Federation (AFF). MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE"
  • ICATQ
    Options
    Thats nice and simple!!

What happened to a bit of negotiation with the ASU or equivalent is? No wonder the MoD wastes so much money on administration. Bring back the grump Warrant Officer that did everything and had the presence of mind and service experience to make sensible decisions! That would save millions !
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hmm all good in theory but put it into practise on the day of march out, when you are faced with a bill. Friends marched out today and were billed, out of curiosity he asked what would happen if he was to contest it, he was told they would come in again with a 'fine tooth comb' and he would more than likely receive a larger bill. Ok for those that know the rules but a newly married junior for example feeling pressured would just sign the paperwork.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • ICATQ
    Options
    genieuk wrote: »
    Hmm all good in theory but put it into practise on the day of march out, when you are faced with a bill. Friends marched out today and were billed, out of curiosity he asked what would happen if he was to contest it, he was told they would come in again with a 'fine tooth comb' and he would more than likely receive a larger bill. Ok for those that know the rules but a newly married junior for example feeling pressured would just sign the paperwork.

My last couple of march outs - not that DE call them that anymore, were quite relaxed compared to what they used to be.

I always recommend to the junior element that a senior is in attendance for guidance if the staff at a particular unit are more pedantic than they need to be.

DE work to a charter and there has been reports that some of the DE offices have been failing to provide an adequate service - not a shocker tbh -

Stick to your guns - but as has been said - not easy when the pressure is on to get to your new unit and all the hassle of moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure