Daily car hire Cyprus

Options
I am off for a week in Cyprus in 2 weeks ( courtesy of Tesco Clubcard deals :beer:). I can see some reasonable deals for car hire for the week but dont think I will be needing the car every day. When I have been before I have seen loads of local car hire joints. Are these ok?

Paul

Comments

• matchbox80
    matchbox80 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Kremmen,

Before I was in the business I used to use the local companies, they are reasonably ok, however some of the cars are older and not so well kept. Another thing is they tend to rise the rates for people who just walk in from the street.
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    matchbox80 wrote: »
    Kremmen,

Before I was in the business I used to use the local companies, they are reasonably ok, however some of the cars are older and not so well kept. Another thing is they tend to rise the rates for people who just walk in from the street.

Thanks,

I will keep a look out for the lemons. Does anyone know what sort of daily rate is being charged? Online ( for a week) it seem to be about £25 per day including Aircon)

Paul
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    You're much better off getting a cheap weekly rate. Do a search for a voucher code for holiday autos and see what you can find. Operators a re very unwilling to let cars go for a day rate and will take the mick with prices, it will probably work out more expensive!

Smaller local firms will have lots of grey imports or newer Korean cars but are fine. I have certainly heard of people getting good deals like this but I'd be inclined to sort it out for peace of mind now as a weekly booking- just because a sign says "15 euros a day" you are unlikely to get it!

If you prefer, just make two bookings of 4 or 5 days with a gap in the middle maybe?
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're much better off getting a cheap weekly rate. Do a search for a voucher code for holiday autos and see what you can find. Operators a re very unwilling to let cars go for a day rate and will take the mick with prices, it will probably work out more expensive!

Smaller local firms will have lots of grey imports or newer Korean cars but are fine. I have certainly heard of people getting good deals like this but I'd be inclined to sort it out for peace of mind now as a weekly booking- just because a sign says "15 euros a day" you are unlikely to get it!

If you prefer, just make two bookings of 4 or 5 days with a gap in the middle maybe?

That makes sense.Thanks.

Paul
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    Threadbump!

I have just booked my car hire through holiday autos for Cyprus and was reminded of something:

Don't bother paying extra for aircon with them, as it is highly unlikely you will receive a car without it anyway! saved me a good fiver a day!
  • Endora_2
    Endora_2 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Hubby and I off to sunny Cyprus in May for 10 days, thinking of hiring a car and was advised by travel rep to book before going as when you get there you might get ripped off or given a car more expensive than you really need. Anyone got any good companies to go with? Been on on supermarket.com and got a few quotes but have no idea of what the companies are like.:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure