TravelMoneyMax.com Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jdaffern
    Options
    Please watch out for your credit card company adding a charge. I bought Euros with BUPA as it was the cheapest and also gave me the credit card "protection". However my credit card company charged me an additional £23 as a "cash advance fee". So it probably would have been cheaper to walk round to the post office to change my cash.
  • hsbcarter_2
    hsbcarter_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    jdaffern wrote: »
    Please watch out for your credit card company adding a charge. I bought Euros with BUPA as it was the cheapest and also gave me the credit card "protection". However my credit card company charged me an additional £23 as a "cash advance fee". So it probably would have been cheaper to walk round to the post office to change my cash.

I almost did the same, but absolute credit to Bupa (ICE PLC - Bupa is just a brand for this), they went above and beyond to cancel my debit card order and fax an authorisation cancellation on my behalf. I then went for a bank transfer option saving me the £22.

I think TravelMoneyMax.com should highlight this warning on its search engine because it states "free" but it should be clarified if you pay by credit card or some debit cards.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hsbcarter wrote: »
    I almost did the same, but absolute credit to Bupa (ICE PLC - Bupa is just a brand for this), they went above and beyond to cancel my debit card order and fax an authorisation cancellation on my behalf. I then went for a bank transfer option saving me the £22.

I think TravelMoneyMax.com should highlight this warning on its search engine because it states "free" but it should be clarified if you pay by credit card or some debit cards.

But it DOES - at the top of the results screen
  • hsbcarter_2
    hsbcarter_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    But it DOES - at the top of the results screen

Ah.. you are right, I must have been particularly sleepy when I ordered.... Anyway suffice to say I am awaiting a royal mail delivery for my currency today.

Cheers
  • JonathanB
    JonathanB Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a note about Thomas Cook... the comparison listing says against their entry that "You'll get a worse rate if you do not order online before hand."

I have just placed an order (or rather a "reservation") for Czech Korunas with Thomas Cook at a rate of 26.39 CZK per GBP.

I was expecting to pay for this online and collect at Heathrow in a couple of weeks' time, however it really is just a reservation and after submitting, I've found that if I collect after close of business today (5th August) then I will be given the currency at the day of collection's reserve and collect rate.

I think this is rather different from the services that it is compared with - for example the Travelex collection service which will be at the rate you agree and pay for when ordering.

It doesn't look like there is any problem if I decide to ignore my reservation (which I think I might, as with the news of financial problems, it might be better to order my currency before the rate gets worse!) though, so it's not all bad. Decisions decisions!
  • katsy_2
    Options
    My son is going to Canada for 4 months. I am unsure of the best way to manage his finances. I will get him added to our Halifax credit card for emergencies but obviously don't want him to use this all the time! I want to be able to transfer his student loan to him in Canada each month together with an allowance from us. Has anyone any suggestions of best way to do this?
  • morizot
    morizot Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have some currency left over that I want exchanging back to pounds. The tool only appears to do buy back by post. It would be useful to have a buy back to collect.
  • roskers
    Options
    Beware of ICE - they don't honour the published rate, saying it's only indicative. MSE should remove them from the list and only include companies who will give the published rate. I lost 1 cent for each Euro purchased over this when exchanging currency recently. Just avoid them, otherwise you could face a wasted journey if you aim to collect.
  • Alan_1965
    Options
    Today the comparison indicated that I can buy Japanese yen 71,830 for £ 500. However when i proceed with the booking on Moneycorp website the earliest availability is 8th Friday and the rate is much lower than indicated as I receive only 70,917 yen for £500.

I always rely on your comparison site for best deal when it comes to saving money on financial deals but the information almost let me down on this occasion.

Anybody order online from Moneycorp ensure the availability and the exchange rate before order online
  • norfwall
    Options
    I love this tool, and like others I'd just previously bought currency from M&S or The Post Office. Using the tool I found that Sainsburys had a good rate and as collecting from there was very convenient I purchased from them. I entered my Nectar card details and at the end of the transaction realised that I'd gotten a £1 Nectar discount, so really pleased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure