MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Fearne stump up for Reggie's music collection?

Options

Comments

• t3h_1337_n1nj4
    Options
    Whatever you think about downloading music for free (i.e. usually technically illegal downloads), if you already own the music, then downloading it from, for example, Bittorrent, isn't illegal. The question is moot when you can, for free, re-obtain the music legally.
  • Tetsugaku-San
    Options
    Are you all mad? Why on earth would you pay for it *again* when it's already been paid for? visit a friend with a music collection and copy all the bits you want, or go on a share site and DL it all, brrow CDs and re rip them to your drive.

Copies of music are worthless anyway so quite why you'd ever pay £400 for them I have no idea....
  • jackbremer
    jackbremer Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    surely legally owned digital music can be downloaded with a single click from the provider if you lose the original? You've bought a right to ownership, not to download once.

I have no idea - I would never ever buy music online - if I don't own a physical version then it's as good as useless IMHO.

She should give him bit-torrent insutructions or take the time to download it all again for him, if you can't just click to redownload it all again.

He needs backup ASAP - one of the online services is a no-brainer, but will cost for several GBs of music.
  • flaura
    flaura Posts: 242 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    no she shouldn't pay he should have backed it up and assuming that it's an ipod all the music should be on there he could use a programme such as Irepo to get the music from the ipod back onto his new paid for by the insurance company lap top
    Lightbulb Moment - March 2004 :cry:
    Highest Debt: £16,896.00 :mad:
    :rotfl: Debt Free Date 25th July 2007 !!
    :j and still DEBT FREE
  • cozlw
    cozlw Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Pretty stupid of him to lend it out without it being backed up. Its one thing to lose it yourself, it feels so much worse when someone else has done it. If it were me, she should pay, however there are ways around getting these things for free :D
  • Ventilator
    Options
    The guy's an idiot to have that much stuff on his laptop not backed up. His fault, pure and simple.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No way should she pay. He lent it, he didn't back it up and he didn't have enough insurance cover for the software as well. She obviously had backups as she could "finish" her dissertation even though her computer was broken so he could have said "use it here". His problem!
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point isn't whether the data was backed up or not.
    The point is that the laptop was lent to a friend.
    She lost it. Insurance will cover most of the loss, so should she pay the rest?

I believe she should, as it was in her possession at the time.
  • The_Grandmaster
    The_Grandmaster Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it only me who has realised Fearne and Reggie are radio 1 DJs who are the hosts of the Chart Show on Sunday and also have a show on Saturday evening?

I'm sure radio 1 DJs get there music from the BBC or bands wanting their music to be played! Maybe even directly from the music industry!
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone who doesn't back up their computer, especially a laptop is an idiot, & if I had borrowed it I would've checked that the silly man had done so before leaving his house! However, as he should be able to get hold of most of his music once he has a new computer anyway Fearne has no need to pay for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure