PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting My Deposit Back

Options
Hi All I am a new poster been on the site for a long while now and thought I would ask the good people here for some help advice.

My situation is that a year ago I was renting a flat from the estate agents Goodchilds. I had put down £1100 as a deposit I did not have a guarantee at the time.

I was in the property for a year. When I left they asked me to sign out which I had done not aware that they had actually made me sign a document that said the cooker needed cleaning the walls needed painting and the carpets needed redoing and the sofa that i was unable to take with me. (I had been told verbally that, that was ok)

Not only that but when I had put my notice in they are claiming they never recieved it on time even though it was sent first class and dated.

Basically they want to pay me £100 out of the £1100.

I had signed the contract a month before the deposit scheme came into place.

Anyone any tips of who best to speak to?

Comments

• tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    I think you will learn from this that you should :

(a) never *ever* sign anything without reading it
    (b) always send important letters by recorded delivery
    (c) never take a LAs verbal assurance to mean anything

You have to take a measure of personal responsibility here - you are presumably an adult so no-one can "make" you sign anything, & it is up to you to protect your own interests.

That said, have the LAs office confirmed the full reason for the deductions, and a breakdown of the costs, in writing to you?

They can only ask for you to return the property in the same condition as when let, save for fair wear and tear. Even if something is damaged or dirty they cannot put themselves/the LL in a better position than they were at the start of the tenancy and use your deposit money to fund that. So, you may have "inadvertently agreed" that the "walls needed painting & the carpets need redoing" but they would have to justify the actual costs for any work they want to do.

Was an inventory done at the start of your rental? Did you take photos when you moved in and out?

You may want to talk to the private sector Tenancy Relations Officer at the local Council and see if this LA is already known to them. If the agent is signed up to ARLA, UKALA, NALs or OEA schemes you can try making a formal complaint there but, in the circumstances, you probably won't get very far.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    meropis wrote: »
    I was in the property for a year. When I left they asked me to sign out which I had done not aware that they had actually made me sign a document that said the cooker needed cleaning the walls needed painting and the carpets needed redoing and the sofa that i was unable to take with me. (I had been told verbally that, that was ok)

How did they MAKE you sign the document?
  • meropis
    Options
    tbs624 wrote: »
    I think you will learn from this that you should :

(a) never *ever* sign anything without reading it
    (b) always send important letters by recorded delivery
    (c) never take a LAs verbal assurance to mean anything

You have to take a measure of personal responsibility here - you are presumably an adult so no-one can "make" you sign anything, & it is up to you to protect your own interests.

That said, have the LAs office confirmed the full reason for the deductions, and a breakdown of the costs, in writing to you?

They can only ask for you to return the property in the same condition as when let, save for fair wear and tear. Even if something is damaged or dirty they cannot put themselves/the LL in a better position than they were at the start of the tenancy and use your deposit money to fund that. So, you may have "inadvertently agreed" that the "walls needed painting & the carpets need redoing" but they would have to justify the actual costs for any work they want to do.

Was an inventory done at the start of your rental? Did you take photos when you moved in and out?

You may want to talk to the private sector Tenancy Relations Officer at the local Council and see if this LA is already known to them. If the agent is signed up to ARLA, UKALA, NALs or OEA schemes you can try making a formal complaint there but, in the circumstances, you probably won't get very far.

Yeah I am an adult and I guess I am not in much of a position, I just feel they are taking the micky slightly.

I never took any photos or anything as I thought they were decent and all seemed ok with me. Yeah there were a few marks but nothing major.

I think what I will do is ask for the reciepts for the work they have carried out and speak to my local council like you said.

I have definitely learned from this.

Just grieves me £1000 of my money.
  • meropis
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    How did they MAKE you sign the document?

The agent was talking with me and laughing and said "that's us you just need to sign here and then we all done". I stupidly presumed that their was nothing the matter and that was the case closed.

Lesson learnt the hard way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport