Yorkshire Building Society ISA transfer or not

Options
I've got one of my ISAs with Yorkshire - it is quite an old one as it was a Tessa Rollover. It's fixed year is up and the new rate is not good - fixed at 2%

I've been looking to move it, maybe merge it into my NatWest e-ISA but then I would not have an account with Yorkshire any more. In the past I know if building societies have merged then members have been given shares. Does this still happen? Is it likely?

Any thought welcome - thanks
The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is very unlikely, but you could preserve your membership and voting rights with YBS by opening a savings account with them and putting £100 in it.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2009 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Thanks apt - just went though the application and realised at the end that I had to be a member since April 1998 to benefit and mine was after that so don't think it applies anyhow.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • martinman3
    martinman3 Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks apt - just went though the application and realised at the end that I had to be a member since April 1998 to benefit and mine was after that so don't think it applies anyhow.
    1998 was probably when the Charitable Assignment clause was brought into force. Before that date you didn't need to wait five years and the Charitable Assignment clause didn't apply. Since that date, if you have been a member for five years you are eligible to benefit from merger bonuses etc.

Although the age of demutualisation bonuses has probably gone there is a significant advantage to remaining a member of any society. Some high interest paying accounts at societies are only open to those who have been members for many years and £100 is not a lot to ensure that you can open any future accounts that require this.
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    martinman3 wrote: »
    1998 was probably when the Charitable Assignment clause was brought into force. Before that date you didn't need to wait five years and the Charitable Assignment clause didn't apply. Since that date, if you have been a member for five years you are eligible to benefit from merger bonuses etc.

Although the age of demutualisation bonuses has probably gone there is a significant advantage to remaining a member of any society. Some high interest paying accounts at societies are only open to those who have been members for many years and £100 is not a lot to ensure that you can open any future accounts that require this.

Not at the Nationwide, appalling rates for long standing members.

Members ISA Bond

£ - £1 £9999 0.5%
    £ - £10.000 £24.000 0.6%
    £25.0000 plus 0.75%

Only allowed one withdrawal a year, and that needs 60 days notice.
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please,please,please dont let the Yorkshire demutualise!
    I have a deep burning indifference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport