WARNING: Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus PLC)

Options
johnjames1
johnjames1 Posts: 70 Forumite
I know there is a thread about this company, BUT this is important. If you have an "account" with this company and have broadband mobiles and home phone PLUS gas and electricty check your bill to see if it has more than one VAT number on it. If it has check the validity of the "invoice" with HMRC VAT (Normally on the front the VAT from the three numbers is combined.) If you are a company check with your Accountant straight away as there "maybe" legal issues that he may have missed.

Comments

• Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    johnjames1 wrote: »
    I know there is a thread about this company,

So why start another thread when MSE indicates he would like everything posted about them kept to one thread.:D
  • johnjames1
    Options
    The reason why is a simple one anyone who is VAT savvy will know what I mean and this IS serious in what they are doing. Hint check with HMRC VAT office and say you have an "invoice with three VAT numbers on it" you will be in for a surprise if not shock. (They may ask you to quote a VAT number but tell them you need advise.)
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Aren't you a failed distributor, jj?
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    johnjames1 wrote: »
    The reason why is a simple one anyone who is VAT savvy will know what I mean and this IS serious in what they are doing. Hint check with HMRC VAT office and say you have an "invoice with three VAT numbers on it" you will be in for a surprise if not shock. (They may ask you to quote a VAT number but tell them you need advise.)

So why dont you explain what you think their doing in the correct thread of course.;)
  • kippen_noedel
    Options
    you might be confusing the requirement to use sequential invoice numbers with vat numbers.

since vat liability is different for each part of the TelecomPlus Group, it is a legal requirement to provide each vat number on an invoice, & as long as it is easy to see which vat limit applies to each portion of the invoice no breach is occurring.
  • johnjames1
    Options
    QUOTE "So why dont you explain what you think their doing in the correct thread of course." I think that anyone who knows about VAT and invoices will know what I mean, and of course whilst to them it maybe obvious I am not going to quote it out directly. BUT it is serious to point out in a seperate thread so that it does not get sucked into the "normal stuff"

QUOTE "Aren't you a failed distributor, jj?" There are much better ways of earning residual income than the pittance paid especially considering what they dont tell you. As to the way they work reminded me too much of the way I was bought up in a Cult Religion!

(What they dont tell you is the attrition rate of 40% not my calculations others.)

Oh and I do keep in touch with some "ID's" and after finding out what I have they are hoping mad as they could end up in the stew as well. (They did not think it true at first either.)
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    OK. Take a deep breath and please explain the problem as you see it with these different VAT numbers. No more innuendo, nudge nudge, tap tap etc etc. Just facts.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    you might be confusing the requirement to use sequential invoice numbers with vat numbers.

since vat liability is different for each part of the TelecomPlus Group, it is a legal requirement to provide each vat number on an invoice, & as long as it is easy to see which vat limit applies to each portion of the invoice no breach is occurring.

As per kippen, this is what appears on the invoice summary with the VAT amount applicable broken down by each Company. The Gas and Electricity is supplied by the two "plus" companies which were taken over by NPower.

Gas supplied by Gas Plus Supply Limited, VAT No: 872 1992 94. VAT amount £5.75
    Electricity supplied by Electricity Plus Supply Limited, VAT No: 872 1991 96. VAT amount £4.35
    All other services including the Club membership are supplied by Telecom plus PLC, VAT No: 691 3233 39. VAT amount £7.55
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • ColinAllCars
    ColinAllCars Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    So whats the problem then?
  • johnjames1
    Options
    Nope double checked with HMRC one invoice per VAT number otherwise it is a void invoice. The only way they could do this is with one VAT number. Hence to legally invoice they would need to issue three seperate invoices. AS to being taken over by N-Power I suggest you have a look on companies house website, as this is not the case.
    I have even tried to see if I could do the same set a company up with two companies and the only way I could legally issue an invoice is by using an "Umbrella" VAT number IE ONE VAT number. Forms are actually on the HMRC website for doing this.
    Now unless HMRC are giving out dodgy info then who is in the wrong? So far 4 different sections have said the same thing. Also all stated to report the matter. In fact one department even stated that doing this could be looked at some sort of VAT evasion? But I did not go into this as to why.
    It looks like what they are doing is Telecom Plus is "the managment company" so if Gas Plus or Electricty Plus goes under then Telecom Plus Survives.
    Be interesting to see how this stands as well with shares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure