AOL recommend a friend

Options
i phoned aol this afternoon to say i would like to recommend a friend in which i could qualify for a £30 reward.I was told i could give my details when i went through the signing up procedure. later in the afternon i went to my friends house and phoned aol and got her registered using one of aols free cds (offering a trial period). they only took my aol user name and said this was all the action i needed to take regarding me claiming the £30 reward. I returned home and recieved a email from aol saying they were going to send me a special software disk which my friend needs to use on her pc to sign up.i have contacted aol support who tell me that by her using the software disk i will be able to claim the £30 cashback. what puzzles me is that with her now being registered surely now she will be classed as a existing member, if any one could offer any advice it would be appreciated.
many thanks
jonno

Comments

• gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    best advice is to get rid of AOL.
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    Would any true friend recommend AOL? ???
    ...and then the window licker said to me...
  • gemsurf2
    Options
    What's wrong with AOL? ???
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    What's wrong with AOL? ???

You ask that on a forum about saving money? :o
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    i beleive using aol, is swings and roundabouts, you pay more for using them than many other ISP's however the customer service is free anytime, which in the past i have needed to use for various reasons, saving me on average 50p a min based on most of the others, i agree that aol are more expensive and like many others on here have looked at alternative providers to save me money, and as soon as ive decided on which i will probably change,

however if your happy with aol then thats all that matters, i shouldnt think you will have too much trouble reciveing the £30 sign up fee for your friend, however if ya do, just get on to them and argue your case, they dont want to lose custom, especially with so many providers and better deals around now, i think they'll stump up, good luck and let us know how ya get on ;) ;D
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I think AOL are great, and like most companies if you barter with them you get the service cheaper, as they offered me their gold broadband package for the price of my normal membership for 12 months in order for me to sign up.
  • bamberbamboo
    Options
    Personally I think AOL are great, and like most companies if you barter with them you get the service cheaper, as they offered me their gold broadband package for the price of my normal membership for 12 months in order for me to sign up.

me aswell I called up to cancel and got offered 512 at £15.99 per month for 12 months after which will probably threaten to cancel again and get another deal, I think they're great an have had no probs with them ;) (yet)
    a please & thank you is all it takes :wave:
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm happy with AOL, they talked through a LOAD of procedures, to sort our pc, when it wasn't even a connection/set up problem.

If that had been on the cheapest pay per minute scheme, we would have spent £$£$£

& they DO have a very reliable connection, no drop outs or failures to really worry about.

VB
  • jonno_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have been with aol for over 3 years now and like a lot of you, i have no problems with them at all, the reason i recommended my friend to aol was because she was having allsorts of connection probs with her previous isp and it was costing her money each time a problem arose which was frequent.
    thanks
    jonno
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    in my experience with support is that i end up telling them! generally the level of support with isp's is non-existent.
    on a dial up you only need a user name and password. no need for any type of extra software (like aol) or any disc to get you on line.
    Aol tie you in to a 12 month contract, would avoid these at all cost. don't know what will happen in the next year.

best support is ask a friend, or use the forums, that's free!

and Aol are expensive compared with other isp's :dial up £6.99 and Adsl £11.74 why pay more?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure