PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPCs - How to get a better grade.

Options
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a higher grade Energy Performance Certificate. I heard once that someone got a lower grade because not all their lightbulbs were energy saving and as I am about to order want I obviously want to get a higher grading!

So if you have got any tips that will really add up to a higher score, please add them here.

Thanks

Comments

• tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know *anyone* who is bothered by these things? They are a huge waste of time and money IMO. The daft thing about the light bulbs is that they are not a fixed item - the new T or OO may simply decide to use other types of bulbs. Besides which, the standard light bulbs give off plenty of heat, so help to keep the heating bills down.;)

Whether T or buyer, most people are far more concerned about whether they can park, whether their furnitire will fit in, how much sun the garden gets, proximity to friends and family, and distance to work/school.

Someone will now post that "if you have two properties that are identical and one is a D and the other a C, then people will go for the C". Fact is it's pretty rare to have the choice of two properties that are identical in every respect bar their pretty coloured EPC chart.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    They are quite frankly a pain, however if its just a case of changing a few bulbs to get a higher grade, I am willing to do it (if only for the inspection!).
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum's well-kitted out with energy efficient light bulbs. Nip round day before inspection and borrow bulbs, install for inspection, then back to mum's for dinner and bulb-replacement that evening.
    Higher rating sorted!
  • davethetaller
    Options
    sparkey1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a higher grade Energy Performance Certificate. I heard once that someone got a lower grade because not all their lightbulbs were energy saving and as I am about to order want I obviously want to get a higher grading!

So if you have got any tips that will really add up to a higher score, please add them here.

Thanks
    I had a survey done yesterday,with the result emailed to my estate agent and myself this morning. It took 40 minutes, and the guy took the overall size of the house,what boiler I had,looked at the hot water tank,had a peek in the loft for the depth of insulation,noted we have double glazing,took digital pics.as he went round etc.
    The only downmarking was lack of energy saving bulbs, he enterred 20%,which was generous.

The estate agent we have just gone with could have arranged it for £85, but just put Energy Performance Certificate into your search engine, and you will find plenty at £50 including VAT. They last for 3 years.

Bear in mind in this case, that you do not want a good job done,you just want it done at the cheapest price !

Would any prospective buyer be interrested in seeing it.....er NO.

Hope that helps.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    G_M - thanks for the offer of the bulbs. If i come round on Sunday can I get a roast dinner off your Mum at the same time.

Davethetaller - A bit of extra insulation around the loft hatch I think!
  • Evee2000
    Evee2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As a lower cost measure low energy bulbs will make a small difference to your property's rating. However, the energy assessor will consider the style of property (flat/bungalow/semi etc), the volume in the house to be heated and the heat loss walls. He/she will also look at the insulation in the property, so, with this in mind - increase the insulation in your loft (to at least 250mm, more if possible). If you have a cavity - consider having it filled (might be a grant available). 100% double glazing?

What type of heating do you have? If you have electric storage heaters, or portable gas, you won't get a good rating. How is your water heated? If you have a hot water cylinder, consider the depth of the insulation around the tank, increase it with a well fitting jacket if possible. Do you have a thermostat on the tank?

There are higher cost measures, solar/photovotaic panels etc.

The averge rating for this country is an E - so if you're above that, you're not doing too badly.
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    My last property got marked down, because it was cob and several of the light bulbs were not energy efficient! This was annoying because we had let the place with those dastardly things in place ( my OH loves them....I think they are dire in a small window, period place). Previous tenants had changed them, and I hadn't realised!

Anyhow, I had the EPC out on display for all the viewings, and not one person looked at it! :rolleyes: Shame really, as it is quite colourful, like viewing the stickers on a fridge at Comet ! ;) We all know those big beasties that get bought, are so going to help the environment when they are binned a few years down the line, and end up in fridge hell.

It's a load of bullocks playing in a field.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    . They last for 3 years.
    If its for a rental its for 10 years:smiley:
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your cavities and depth of loft insulation are the most important items. The software only takes the light bulbs into account by a tiny margin. Double Glazing hardly makes any difference.

I for one would take notice of the EPC when I was buying. I would not buy a property that could not achieve a decent EPC (read as heating bill). The way fuel prices are going up you cannot afford to ignore it.

So long as the house was capable of being improved, then it would not matter to me whether it was done already. If the house had a poor EPC and no potential without hideous expense then I would look elsewhere.
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evee2000 wrote: »
    What type of heating do you have? If you have electric storage heaters, or portable gas, you won't get a good rating.

Storage heaters are fine so long as the property is very well insulated and they have good controls. Obviously gas will always win but you can achieve a B with storage heaters and even an A if you combine them with renewables.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure