cant i request the notes taken in my interview under data protection?

Options
Hi there,

i recently stromed through the interview process for a well known company had my interview yesterday which went really well only to be told I was unsucessful in an email this morning, i have a feeling i know why i was unsucessful and its not something they can refuse a job for, however the are not giving me any feedback.

am i within my rights to request the notes taken about me throughout the application process?
Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
Sea
led pot challenge 4 - 332
Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
And lots of other challenges!

Comments

• mizzbiz
    mizzbiz Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    laurenjs88 wrote: »
    Hi there,

i recently stromed through the interview process for a well known company had my interview yesterday which went really well only to be told I was unsucessful in an email this morning, i have a feeling i know why i was unsucessful and its not something they can refuse a job for, however the are not giving me any feedback.

am i within my rights to request the notes taken about me throughout the application process?

Maybe it was due to your spelling and grammar - they can definitely refuse a job for that.
    I'll have some cheese please, bob.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You can make a Subject Access Request (you may have to pay £10 for this) ... but do you really think it will make a difference to the outcome?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    wow that is so helpful, my gosh im definatly going to put this forward for post of the month.
    Sea
  • laurenjs88
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You can make a Subject Access Request (you may have to pay £10 for this) ... but do you really think it will make a difference to the outcome?

No it probably wont, but for my own peace of mind i'd like to see the notes
    Sea
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    They will not have written anything potentially discriminatory, or if they did, you can guarantee you will not see it! I think it will be a fruitless task tbh, and a waste of £10.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    laurenjs88 wrote: »
    wow that is so helpful, my gosh im definatly going to put this forward for post of the month.

Nearly lost as someone had posted before you got a chance to reply but I like it.

Anyways, would interviewers keep the notes? Will they not be disposed of after the successful applicant is chosen?
  • laurenjs88
    Options
    Nearly lost as someone had posted before you got a chance to reply but I like it.

Anyways, would interviewers keep the notes? Will they not be disposed of after the successful applicant is chosen?

Thanks, i really cannot understand why people do that, i understand they need to feel better than everyone else but it just makes them look like a TW@

I ts a massive recruitment drive for a huge newly branding insurance company. I was only told at 9.02 this morning so i'm assuming they will still have them.
    Sea
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They should keep the notes they made but it probably won't show you anything that may be discriminatory. They should have had some kind of scoring system so that applicants could be compared. This may be more helpful if you want to learn for the future rather than take action against the company. They should also give you feedback if you request it.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2009 at 6:26PM
    Options
    You can ask for the scoring system used as well as copies of the other candidates applications (suitably marked not to show personal details eg name/address etc etc) - I have done it once and I thought you could only do it if you were a disabled person (the Disability Rights Commission told me that, however, they no longer exist).

Wny not ring them and speak to their HR department to gain feedback as to why you didnt get the job? Say that the feedback will help when you apply for other jobs in the future. I don't for one minute believe you when you say that they won't give feedback.

Taking them to a tribunal won't win you any favours and in fact could have an impact on your future job prospects as you could be seen as a troublemaker. Its best to accept that on this occasion you were not the right candidate and move on (its what grown ups do - we move on to something better).
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Surely you should just accept that there was a better candidate, if they changed their minds and appointed the OP the original successful candidate would feel they had grounds to complain. Unless it's an internal job you have no way of knowing that you were the right person for the job and even then it's debatable.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport