Anyone else think Superdrug are having a laugh at our expense?

in Shop but don't drop
44 replies 7.6K views
You may have noticed that recently, Superdrug have started charging their customers for the use of a plastic bag to take home their purchases. They state they are doing this under the guise of 'environmental' reasons - they are not!!

If they were truly 'green', they could easily issue paper bags, something Primark has been doing for ages, also, they could issue biodegradeable plastic bags, something the co-op has been doing for a long time.

Other retailers that charge at least use all the direct proceeds to further their own green agenda, and publicly publish the financial results to show how its been spent (Marks & Spencer). Superdrug simply add it to their bottom line so we are paying directly for the bag. I don't expect to be taxed at the till an additional cost towards their payroll costs, or their electric, that should all be calculated on the cost of doing business and incorporated into their margin.

I'm just so frustrated at them blatantly taxing their own customers in this way and my own protest is to stop shopping there! I've also emailed them but got a very bland response.

Anyone else think they are taking the pi**??

Replies

• KimrhizKimrhiz Forumite
    27 Posts
    Its not only Superdrug though.....If you ever shopped in TK maxx and bought a hella lot of stuff and found out they charged for bags, you'd be wee-d off even more due to buying clothes 8-l .Happened to me loads and I sometimes carry a small bag -.-

So Ye Superdrug didn't start this trend but its ok because I only buy small products from there. Although I do think if they are charging for bags it should go towards their environmental programmes (If they exist)
  • zenseekerzenseeker Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of stores are beginning to charge for plastic bags, there was a high profile thing about it.

Why don't you just carry around a reusable bag and quit moaning?
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • frugalstephenfrugalstephen Forumite
    144 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I believe the 'high profile thing' you are talking about is the Welsh government are considering introducing a 15p/bag TAX. This is an up front and honest way of doing it. In Southern Ireland, the government there have been charging a 5p/bag TAX for years.

My point is that Superdrug are NOT using this stream of income for anything else apart from helping their profit! If its not being used to help the environment, they should not be lying to their customers that it is.

They should admit, 'look, times are tough, we need to make all the money we can from you'. (like that's going to happen)

What if they charged you at the till a few pence to help the cuddly world population of panda's, then they kept the money - would you think that's OK?
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    But you are still moaning and complaining over nothing...carry a bag with you and make a small donation to an environmental charity of you are really such a do-gooder.

They are only making a profit from you if you are lazy enough not to supply your own bag.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
    144 Posts
    You know.....

I was always taught never to argue with an idiot - they bring you down to their level, and they always win from experience.

I'm bowing out gracefully now :)
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    With regards to biodegradable plastic bags, there is some evidence that they are actually worse for the environment that standard plastic ones:

http://www.futurenergia.org/ww/en/pub/futurenergia/chats/bio_plastics.htm

Paper is of course a possibility, but I find that they have often fallen apart by the time I get home, if not before.
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the 'high profile thing' you are talking about is the Welsh government are considering introducing a 15p/bag TAX. This is an up front and honest way of doing it. In Southern Ireland, the government there have been charging a 5p/bag TAX for years.

My point is that Superdrug are NOT using this stream of income for anything else apart from helping their profit! If its not being used to help the environment, they should not be lying to their customers that it is.

They should admit, 'look, times are tough, we need to make all the money we can from you'. (like that's going to happen)

What if they charged you at the till a few pence to help the cuddly world population of panda's, then they kept the money - would you think that's OK?

but it obviouslty is helping the environment. I never buy plastic bags unless I y absolutely have to- why, because i carry around some bags for life/jute bags and always have one.

Theres no question that this directly helps the environment. It helps because im not using a poxy little bag for a lipstick, and therefore the production, flying of these
    bags from china, and oil production is ever-so-slightly lessened by me not buying or taking that bag surely :confused:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
    144 Posts
    It helps because im not using a poxy little bag for a lipstick

mmm.... makes you think, how much it would help the environment to not buy the lipstick in the first place. All those nasty little petro-chemicals in the stick and its packaging, massive carbon footprint by being flown in from China, etc, etc :confused:

:rotfl:
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmm.... makes you think, how much it would help the environment to not buy the lipstick in the first place. All those nasty little petro-chemicals in the stick and its packaging, massive carbon footprint by being flown in from China, etc, etc :confused:

:rotfl:

Indeed-

But then im a bit greener than you are as I always carry my own bags :D;)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
    144 Posts
    But then im a bit greener than you

An accolade i'm delighted to concede....

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides