ACS Law, peer to peer download fine

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
10 replies 4.7K views
schellinhoschellinho Forumite
86 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi there,

I have recently received a letter regrading illegal download and upload of a cd using bittorrent (peer to peer) from a laywer firm called ACS:Law

My main query is, has anyone heard of this firm so i can confirm the letter is legitimate before i send them the fine?

thanks for any help given

Replies

• HippychickHippychick Forumite
    738 Posts
    ✭✭
    sounds like a scam to me.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • edited 30 June 2009 at 3:57PM
    inside101inside101 Forumite
    25 Posts
    edited 30 June 2009 at 3:57PM
    There's a 67 page thread on the p2pfreak forum with people who also got a letter from ACS:Law.
    http://www.p2pfreak.com/forum/torrent-sites/1581-infringement-copyright-notice-two-worlds.html

There's also a blog about the whole thing: http://acsflaw.blogspot.com/
  • mrJ_5mrJ_5 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Did you actually download and/or upload the CD?

IP address spoofing is possible if you didn't do it, so is someone hacking into your wireless router (assuming you have one) and downloading it that way...
  • thanks inside101, i'll be just popping to that site to havea good read.

mr j, yes i think it is a cd that i did download, and then with the rubbish peer to peer bit it automatically uploaded as it was downloading
  • inside101inside101 Forumite
    25 Posts
    schellinho wrote: »
    thanks inside101, i'll be just popping to that site to havea good read.

Quite a lot to read through but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
  • Thanks again inside, only on page 7 at the moment but have also read a few of the pages that the forum links too.
    lots of different advice given but most saying that payment should not be made.
    may pop into my mums work as she works for a solicitors and see what they say, though was kinda hoping of not having to let my mum know as she normally goes off the handle lol
  • Hi there, yes this whole situation is dubious to say the least. It may seem like a Scam but it is DEADLY serious. I would advise anyone who has received a letter to go and read up on as much information you can.

BEINGSCAMMED (google it will come up beingthreatened) Is an excellent staring point although it has been taken over by a different group now. I would be careful with the Chatroom as there are some flamers, but generally there are some good people there as well.

AcsFlaw ON Daily Motion Contains some videos regarding this issue as well as an interview with Andrew Crossley.

And I see you have linked my Blog already! Thanks for that (Third Post)

If you want to email me if you are worried please feel free (addy on Blog)

PLEASE DO NOT WORRY, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Sorry I cant post links even though they are usefull!
  • schellinho wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have recently received a letter regrading illegal download and upload of a cd using bittorrent (peer to peer) from a laywer firm called ACS:Law

My main query is, has anyone heard of this firm so i can confirm the letter is legitimate before i send them the fine?

thanks for any help given
    I have recently recieved a ACS Law letter asking for £400. Has anyone not paid it and if so did they reccieve a writ to attend a hearing?
  • schellinho wrote: »
    thanks inside101, i'll be just popping to that site to havea good read.

mr j, yes i think it is a cd that i did download, and then with the rubbish peer to peer bit it automatically uploaded as it was downloading

i got a letter in January. Did you pay up or not? If not has anything happened?
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a very thorough guide at http://beingthreatened.yolasite.com/resources/The-Speculative-Invoicing-Handbook.pdf for anyone who wants to read up on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals