Cheapest with a BT line

Options
Hi,

I have just moved in to a new Flat in Birmingham. On the first day that I moved in my partner (hmmmm!) signed us up to BT. They reconnected the existing line but I believe that this means we are now tied to them for 12 months.

For some reason the central Birmingham exchange has only been "unlooped" by BT and Talk Talk. So, are we reallly stuck with this BT line? If so who is the cheapest broadband provider to use, idaaly I would want at least 20gb a month.

Alternitvley is there any way for us to sign up to Talk Talk as they seem the cheapest? Even if we do manage to cancel BT though it looks as if Talk Talk will charge a lot for a new line.

Thanks for any help,
Kgall

Comments

• utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2009 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Talk Talk would be very happy to take over your working BT Line and provide Line Rental/ Talk / Broadband for £29.99 connection, but BT of course would require you to honour the contract or pay them a large cancellation fee.

Have a read of MSE article re cheap broadband.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can take your broadband from whoever you want-you have only contracted to BT for 12 months line rental and the basic call package. TalkTalk offer broadband without line rental.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ColinAllCars
    ColinAllCars Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    You can take your broadband from whoever you want-you have only contracted to BT for 12 months line rental and the basic call package. TalkTalk offer broadband without line rental.

How do you know he took a basic call package ? ;)

Are you sure Talk Talk offer Broadband only?
  • macman
    Options
    I don't. But for the purposes of getting a different broadband supplier it makes no difference. What I described was the minimum package.
    I believe TalkTalk offer a non-LLU broadband service but of course it will be more expensive than LLU.
  • utilitybroker
    edited 30 June 2009 at 9:26AM
    Options
    I don't. But for the purposes of getting a different broadband supplier it makes no difference. What I described was the minimum package.
    I believe TalkTalk offer a non-LLU broadband service but of course it will be more expensive than LLU.

If the OP has not taken a basic deal he would be on a 12 month rolling contract.

I think your find despite your belief that Talk Talk dont do broadband only and that you have to take phone and calls even if its non llu.
  • macman
    Options
    Just had a look at the TT website and they do offer calls only without line rental, can't find any ref to BB without line rental but I think it has been discussed in other threads?
  • ColinAllCars
    Options
    Just had a look at the TT website and they do offer calls only without line rental, can't find any ref to BB without line rental but I think it has been discussed in other threads?

Yes they offer a dear carrier preselect call solution but they dont do broadband only as you keep hinting.
  • Not keen on BT myself, Im atfer a freephone number for my new business but the fees there wanting are unreal, hope you get sorted
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    Im atfer a freephone number for my new business

Off thread but the cheapest supplier of 0800 around at the moment is
    http://www.numbergroup.com/servepage.asp?page=1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income