PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Moving hot water cylinder from bedroom

Options
One of the houses (1930's semi detached) we've viewed and liked had this in the (master) bedroom (1st floor)

"Rear aspect window, textured ceiling, radiator, picture rail, feature cast iron fireplace, double built in wardrobe and airing cupboard housing factory lagged hot water cylinder."

The kitchen in the ground floor has a concealed wall mounted gas fired boiler serving central and domestic hot water.

How easy/costly is it to move the cylinder in the bedroom elsewhere, preferable to the utility room downstairs near the kitchen?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally i'd consider a new boiler to do away with cylinder.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,730 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would make more sense to install new combi boiler and remove cylinder and tanks.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    new condensing boiler - maybe £3k including fitting and taking away the old stuff
  • mumboojumboo
    Options
    Thanks.

Are the combi and condensing boilers one and the same?
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Has anyone considered that the boiler might already be condensing?
    Maybe they don't need a combi ,maybe the water pressure is too low to have a combi.

OP,
    How far is the cylinder from where it is now to where you want it.?
    Floor coverings; laminate, carpet or bare boards?
    Too many variables to put a cost on it over the web.

If you are doing any more renovations it might be worthwhile looking up some of the terminology used. For example a condensing boiler can be a combi ,system or heat only boiler.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agree with canucklehead, I have a combi upstairs in a bedroom but a downstairs bathroom but the water pressure was so bad I ended up having to get a seperate supply from the mains, no problem for me as was completely renovating, but if you have carpets down and furniture in its a nightmare.

I would get a plumber round to quote for the work you want doing in that house, he can then discuss with you any issues in that house.
  • mumboojumboo
    mumboojumboo Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

OP,
    How far is the cylinder from where it is now to where you want it.?

The cylinder is in the 1st floor bedroom to the left. The boiler is in the utility room which is in the downstirs to the right.

Think a new combi boiler would be the way to go. Thanks for your replies.
  • besonders1
    besonders1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Be warned that although combi's are fashionable today and are promoted as cost efficient, they don't last very long. You will be lucky to get 5-8 years out of a combi whereas back boilers / conventional last much longer my mums Baxi Bermuda lasted 20 years. I have just had a quote to replace a Halstead combi approx 10 years old for £1500-£2000 for another combi (like for like in the same place, using existing radiators). Almost like paying to have central heating re-installed again.You are better of not wasting your money and just getting the cylinder moved. If you are considering a combi make sure you have British Gas breakdown repair plan insurance as you will be spending most of your days off work waiting for the engineer to call.
  • gasbag1602
    gasbag1602 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    besonders1 wrote: »
    Be warned that although combi's are fashionable today and are promoted as cost efficient, they don't last very long. You will be lucky to get 5-8 years out of a combi whereas back boilers / conventional last much longer my mums Baxi Bermuda lasted 20 years. I have just had a quote to replace a Halstead combi approx 10 years old for £1500-£2000 for another combi (like for like in the same place, using existing radiators). Almost like paying to have central heating re-installed again.You are better of not wasting your money and just getting the cylinder moved. If you are considering a combi make sure you have British Gas breakdown repair plan insurance as you will be spending most of your days off work waiting for the engineer to call.

You have that oppinion because you have a halsted boiler, thay are awful boiler. You need to get a good quality boiler any of the 3 german makes would be a good start and you will get 12-15 years out of it.

BUY CHEEP, BUY TWICE;)
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you relocate the hot water cylinder you will need to reroute/extend pipework and even then you probably won't have the height to have anything come out of the tap. The cylinders tend to be on the first floor for this reason unless they almost back onto the sink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport