Is your 20p coin worth £50?

Comments

• fabulous_girl
    fabulous_girl Posts: 191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have 3 in my purse but they are all dated....I will be frantically looking at every 20p I find!
    I would probably take the £50, i need it now! I haven't updated my signature but my debt has got worse since then (couple hundred) so no chance of getting paid off by Leeds!
    Wins 2012: £50 Love2Shop voucher, Lets Dance tickets, Juan Zelades CD, bluetooth speaker, Blackberry 9360 with £30 credit a month, Chocolate, Maybelline Goodie Bag, Hunter wellies!

• keza
    keza Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I could swear i had a new 20p and put it in my wedding savings sealed teramundi pot! i dont know if it had a date on it or not! dammit!
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
  • mrsrc_2
    mrsrc_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Wow, I can't believe people have got them. Hubby and I thought that most of them would have already been filtered out of the system before the news broke.
    We did look through all our purses, money box's etc but we were not so lucky but will keep checking my change.....
    If only money grew on trees :rolleyes:

Lightspeed 525 points
    Airmiles 1..... :o
    Panel Base £1.25
    Opinion bar £9.85
  • xhosa9
    xhosa9 Posts: 42 Forumite
    My gran has one of these, she collects the new coin designs. She has aksed me to sell it on ebay for her but I am a bit concerned about sending it to some buyer who could just turn around and say it isn't the correctg coin and ask for their money back. I mean how do you prove it is a real "undated" coin that you send? Or am I just being very pessimistic about human nature?
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    To be honest I've had the same worry.
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • FairyShazza
    FairyShazza Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    A friend of mine had one and sold it on Friday for £350.

I’m still to check my change pot as I do have 20p’s in there – fingers crossed I have one :D
    One day Rodney we'll be millionaires
    £2020 in 2020 - Running Total £17
  • bleepy
    bleepy Posts: 65
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 July 2009 at 6:11PM
    xhosa9 wrote: »
    My gran has one of these, she collects the new coin designs. She has askeded me to sell it on ebay for her but I am a bit concerned about sending it to some buyer who could just turn around and say it isn't the correct coin and ask for their money back. I mean how do you prove it is a real "undated" coin that you send? Or am I just being very pessimistic about human nature?

Does your phone have a video camera? Film it along with a piece a paper displaying your ebay user name and post it on you tube then put a link in your advert to it.

Take photos of the above too

This will no doubt get an extra £50- £100 on top of the average selling price.

Having a quick look on ebay they are selling for £250 - £300, there are loads of people asking for £1k up wards this will not happen, I don't know why they bother.

I would also make sure your auction ends at around 7pm on Sunday to ensure you get the best possible selling price.
  • Equinox
    Equinox Posts: 72 Forumite
    I found one!!! :j

I was just about to give it to a customer as well. Talk about living it close!

I'm going to keep mine for a while.
  • kalaika
    kalaika Posts: 716 Forumite
    xhosa9 wrote: »
    ...I mean how do you prove it is a real "undated" coin that you send? Or am I just being very pessimistic about human nature?...
    bleepy wrote: »
    ...Film it along with a piece a paper displaying your ebay user name and post it on you tube then put a link in your advert to it.

Take photos of the above too...

If it was me, I would be worried that even if I could prove the coin was a real undated one, once it is sent to the buyer they could easily claim it was not. Imagine the scene: you sell and post the undated one, the buyer complains that it's just a normal coin, you offer a refund if he sends it back, the buyer sends back a normal coin, you dispute that it's not the same coin but at that point you can't prove what was sent to the buyer, Paypal enter the dispute, side with the buyer and force you to refund, you've lost your undated coin...

Sorry to be a cynic, but I would be quite nervous about selling one on ebay unless you checked your buyer very carefully (i.e. do not accept bids from low feedback buyers, check feedback carefully) or try to insist that payment was made by bank transfer/cheque/cash instead of Paypal, but good ol' ebay insist that Paypal must be offered so this might not be enforceable...
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kalaika wrote: »
    If it was me, I would be worried that even if I could prove the coin was a real undated one, once it is sent to the buyer they could easily claim it was not. Imagine the scene: you sell and post the undated one, the buyer complains that it's just a normal coin, you offer a refund if he sends it back, the buyer sends back a normal coin, you dispute that it's not the same coin but at that point you can't prove what was sent to the buyer, Paypal enter the dispute, side with the buyer and force you to refund, you've lost your undated coin...

Sorry to be a cynic, but I would be quite nervous about selling one on ebay unless you checked your buyer very carefully (i.e. do not accept bids from low feedback buyers, check feedback carefully) or try to insist that payment was made by bank transfer/cheque/cash instead of Paypal, but good ol' ebay insist that Paypal must be offered so this might not be enforceable...
    Indeed, Paypal have a habit of siding with the buyer regardless of how blatantly you've been defrauded, as I know from personal experience unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure