We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Yellow Patches on New Lawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smeg - you appear to have posted pictures of my lawn ! I have a bloke dog too !! And lots of yellow patches !
    I've got Dog Rocks in his drinking water at the moment which are supposed to neutralise his pee. Fat chance :mad:
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to know if it is leatherjackets you can water a patch at night and cover with a plastic sheet. Pull the sheet back in the morning and you will see brown 1 inch legless grubs. The birds will love them
  • buddywitch
    buddywitch Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Smeg - you appear to have posted pictures of my lawn ! I have a bloke dog too !! And lots of yellow patches !
    I've got Dog Rocks in his drinking water at the moment which are supposed to neutralise his pee. Fat chance :mad:

Im trying the Rock sulphur as well, although im using it to help my doggy keep cool in this weather. Just gotta remember the change the rocks every 2-3 days, i didnt realise that at first.
  • Megansmum
    Megansmum Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    just to put another angle in - do you have any neighbours you don't get on with? I only ask cos a few years ago my neighbour had a new lawn and she got the same yellow areas. It turned out the neighbour on the other side had thrown sodium chlorate liquid over the fence all over the new lawn!......just a thought!
    2009 - Attempting to grow my own Kitchen garden..... :o did it!!!
    2010 - Attempting to make my garden a beautiful place for dd2 to enjoy!
  • Smeg77
    Smeg77 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Ok it's not leatherjackets, I treid the black bag trick, and there was nothing underneath in the morning.

So I'm going to put down some feed, seed and compost and see if I can get some grass to grow in the patches :)
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    My new lawn is a bit patchy too but I think it is mostly down to the heat. I've had the sprinkler out for an hour each evening and have made sure that I cut it weekly (to encourage growth). I don't have a dog so can't blame that for mine!
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a new lawn last summer, had a similar problem, we bought a lawn aereator ( a garden fork will do) and prodded those areas and soaked those areas a bit more than the rest of the lawn, and that seemed to have cured it. hth xxx
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    toniq wrote: »
    I had a new lawn last summer, had a similar problem, we bought a lawn aereator ( a garden fork will do) and prodded those areas and soaked those areas a bit more than the rest of the lawn, and that seemed to have cured it. hth xxx

Thanks - I think that could be the problem with mine. Must give it a go at the weekend!
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure