We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Yellow Patches on New Lawn

Options
Smeg77
Smeg77 Posts: 51 Forumite
I'm hoping someone maybe be able to help.

At the end of May we had some Turf laid (approx 21 sqm) which was the last part of transforming our garden.

We were advised to water the turf for at least 30 days, so we bought a small sprinkler and watered the lawn for about 10 minutes every evening. The grass has grown well, and recently we cut it (approx 3cm)

We already had a few yellow patches (circular) appearing in the grass before it was cut, but they now seem to be spreading, and I'm not sure what's causing them or how to limit it, so that the grass can recover.

We do have a male dog (it's been neutered) and if he's goes on the lawn we give it a good dousing with water. Having said that the patches are appearing in places that he doesn't go.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try, or might know what is causing the problem.

Comments

• buddywitch
    buddywitch Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I have a male neutured dog and he still leaves me with yellow grass. Have just been having a look at Rock Sulphur as it is said to be good for helping keep your dog cool in this hot sun, it also has the addded benifit of reducing to amount of yellowing they cause to a lawn. Worth having a look at.
  • Smeg77
    edited 30 June 2009 at 2:28PM
    Options
    I've been tempted by some of them before.

The grass problem, is causing me some headaches, as the OH is very upset that the new lawn looks a bit of a mess.

I'm a little stuck on how to stop the patches, as yesterday I've noticed that in some areas the grass has completely died and it's now a bit bald. I bought some Everlast Lawn Repairer the other day and have tried that.

It said results in 7 days, so I must have done something wrong as we're on Day 6 and the grass seed they give hasn't even started to grow. I did water it after throwing them down, but no joy.

Still trying to work out if it's the Dog, or the Weedkiller I used last year when we just had mud and weeds in the garden, a fungal infection or some dodgy turf we were sold.

Supposedly the turf we have is used in sports grounds, I have no idea what it is called, as it was bought as a gift for us, and the mother-in-law told us that it was a sports grass.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What part of the country are you in smeg?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Smeg77
    Options
    East London
  • Smeg77
    Options
    Can I PM someone my post so that they can attach the pictures for me.

I've got a post ready with pictures but the site won't me put posts with links in, and I don't know how long I have to wait before I can post links (they're just links to imageshack for the pictures)
  • Smeg77
    Options
    I've taken some pictures of my garden to show what I'm talking about.

photo0023yqf.jpg
    photo0024x.jpg

This is what I consider the worst area

photo0025d.jpg
  • Smeg77
    Options
    Apart from the last picture, some of the darker patches are where I've tried to put a little bit of soil on top of the Grass seeds I've put there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cranefly larva (also called leatherjackets)
    we used to get them. Try lifting up one of the brown layers to find the pesky blighters

http://www.gardenseeker.com/lawns/leatherjackets_in_lawns.htm

other than that, cat or dog pee
  • Smeg77
    Options
    I'll have a look when I get home.

I've seen these mentioned on the forums "There is a biological control by name of Nemasys. This control method - nematodes" I have no idea where to buy these from. I'm relatively new to gardening. I noticed from the article it said use it during Autumn, but I don't know if my lawn would last that long, going by the amount of patches I have already.
  • Smeg77
    Options
    Just had a look under the grass, there's now leatherjackets there.

I've also noticed some of the grass seed I've sown has started to grow, although not as much as I would have liked. Might need to buy another box, and just fill in all the patches and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure