Which paint for the kitchen?

Options
Hi All,

I am not sure which paint to use for the kitchen as I have read mixed reviews on the dulux kitchen and bathroom paint.

I need a paint which is washable as we are not going to have any tiles on the walls- it's only going to be 100mm upstands, and a splashback behind the hob.

We have put two coats of the dulux trade supermatt as mist coats as the kitchen was newly plastered.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I want a matt finsh if possible. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    we used dulux k & b and found it to be good. it wipes clean and looks good.

where did you read reviews? the trouble with most internet reviews is that they tend to be written by retards!!

the only way to know really is if you a) try it or b) have a friend who has used it
    You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, about 8 years ago my hubby painted our concrete garage with B&Q bathroom paint, in lavender.
    You can imagine how many times it's been rained and snowed on in those years and it's still like new! I'm amazed as it was supposed to be a temporary job using leftover paint.
  • MissNobody
    MissNobody Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have also use B&Q kitchen & bathroom paint in both a kitchen and a bathroom. It can be a bit harder to apply than 'normal' paint as it is quite thick but as Barneysmom says it does last for years and still look good
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    You could invest in 'Dulux' 'realife paint', the other name for it is 'endurance'
    its 10 x times stronger than your ordinary matt, you can spill soup, tea, tea etc on the wall, wipe it of with a damp cloth and it doesnt leave that dull faded mark.

All the DIY stores sell it, and retail at approx £30 for a 5 ltr tin, but they only do it in certain colours, cant remember how many, but there is a few.
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We used dulux endurance in the kitchen, it is pretty good-can wash it down easily, with good results.
    Its good stuff
  • jockster211
    jockster211 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe try your local Decorators trade counter?

My local place sell both Dulux (diamond matt) & Crown (clean extreme) 'scrubable' emulsion variants. Plus they do colour matching so you can choose just about any colour.

Jockster
    Nothing is easy........'til you find out how!
  • bssjs1
    bssjs1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your advice all. Much appreciated.
  • danmurray
    danmurray Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just add to all this and say that K&B paint is good but a joke at the same time. If you can, always try to go to a Decorator's Merchant like a Crown Dec Centre or a Johnstone's/Leyland Decorating Centre. The reason why is that in the Trade end there's no such thing as K&B paint, it's simply called midsheen or softsheen (depending on the make).

What you'll find is that the likes of B&Q have Kitchen Paint and Bathroom paint and all it really is is a Softsheen with a K&B label plus an extra £5 attached. Honestly! A normal softsheen or midsheen is fully washable and resistant to condensation - and that's what you need! :)

If you go to a Dec Centre you'll not only pay less but have much, much more choice in colours.... I should be a sales rep or something!
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    danmurray wrote: »
    If you go to a Dec Centre you'll not only pay less but have much, much more choice in colours.... I should be a sales rep or something!

Lol, me too :D

Just like to comment on Jocksters and your post about the decorating centres.

Unfortunately I find them at times quite expensive, as you have to pay VAT on everything you buy, its okay for me at times as I get a discount.

The realife/endurance that you get retail in your DIY sheds, retail at approx £30, buy the Diamond matt (trade) at dec centres works out at approx £50 :eek: I use both quite a lot in my jobs, and there is not a lot in it, I know what I would go for.:D
  • Valley's_girl
    Options
    I use kitchen paint from wilko's I find it really good.
    ally
    Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family