🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to Check Mobile Reception

Options
Hintza
Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
I am currently on Vodafone due for renewal. Where we live in a hollow/valley (the house is called Boghall after all) mobile phone signals vary.

Vodafone is great
Orange is poor had to go outside (most of the time).
O2 is not much better.

Is there anyway to tell how the others will operate?

Comments

• DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    Each network has a coverage map online, I wouldn't rely on them too much. The only way I can think of is to try phones on each network.

For indoor use, you may find an aerial useful. OK, so you can't move from room to room as easily with it, but you won't miss any calls/texts.

As well as car aerials, you can get ones that stick on the window. It's worth considering this before you purchase the phone as some handsets have sockets for connecting an external antenna. Siemens usually have attenna connections whereas Nokias don't tend to.
  • PTLD
    PTLD Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    To counter poor reception, please comply with following instructions: [also available in urdu, sanskrit, bangladeshi, hebrew, gaelic, cockney & yiddish]

Remove mobile from box.
    Charge for 24 hours
    Insert SIM card
    Go outside to garden
    Place sturdy ladder against rear wall
    Ascend ladder carefully
    Climb gingerly onto roof
    Stand by tv aerial
    Lift arm holding mobile
    Dial with care

In case of accidental fall: please dial 999 ..... oh sorry! I forgot--- u aint got reception
    something missing
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol
  • barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Options
    unless you are able to try another phone on another network via a mate or someone i would just stick to what you are used to . we cant get t-mobile in our house but a neighbour 2 doors down has no bother we have to go outside to use it luckily enough we were able to try it first we now know not to get t-mobile ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport