Plastering Hall and stairs

Options
I have been told a quote for my hall and stairs to be plastered is £750 without me finding someone to take the radiator off.

The ceiling he said he would board and skim and the walls need a bit of sanding and poss a few bits filling (nothing major) then just skimming.

told it would take 3 days as i have a 14ft drop

My neighbour had theirs done for £300ish

Comments

• debtfreeplease_3
    Options
    i too recently had my house from top to bottom skimmed and i was only charged 80.00 a day but we had to buy the plaster ourselves he was at my house for a good few weekends but for 10.00 an hour it wasnt bad!
    £2.00 COIN SAVINGS...........TOTAL £24.00 :j

ONLY £11.946.00 TO GO :wall:
  • Cristy
    Cristy Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    3 years ago we had ours done for about £500 IIRC. I felt this was rather steep at the time. The same plasterer did our living room and half the kitchen diner for £700.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had our hall and stairs done last year, one plaster and labourer for 2 days. We bought all the plaster in ourselves and it cost us £250.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Deerd_2
    Deerd_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had a quote in to plaster and skim ceilings and walls in stairway and hall(very high ceiling on landig) for £1000!!!! 4 days work @ £250/day.
  • chris123
    chris123 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you remember harry enfields LOADS A MONEY fella. he was a plasterer they are minted because they can charge what they want. you must get up to ten quotes in my opinion, the chap who charged £80 a day was very cheap if you can get a quote around that then good luck but i would say around £130 a day would be more like it

good luck anyway
  • Weth
    Weth Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    As with all things,rely on recommendations from people who have had work done.The money sounds about right for a good job but the time sounds way long so overall I'd probably go somewhere else if you haven't got a recomendation.
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    Options
    god i feel lucky, ive just hada quote for my 23ft lounge ceiling . my 10ft kitchen ,10ft bathroom huge stairwell and walls on stair well for £540all in.
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    i think it goes to say dont go to uni like my son has to train as an accountant be a plasterer and learn a trade in a year
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    A good plasterer will charge £200 - £250 a day in or around London, it generally takes 5- 7 years to become competant enough and quick enough to be at this level.

Other areas of the country will cost less.

I've met plenty of poor plasterers, I've yet to meet a poor accountant. Your son is making the right choice.
  • Heath_Robinson
    Options
    surely it's just a lot easier to spot dodgy plastering than dodgy accounting? :P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure