Passport Interview - What Questions do they Ask?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just applied for my first adult passport online and posted the ID documents off. It asked me to post them to the Glasgow passport office but Durham is my nearest. Does this mean when I get asked to go to an interview I will have to go to Glasgow?
    The office you are asked to send to is for an even allocation of work throughout the offices.
    As Shaun said, you don’t have to travel to glasgow for your interview. There are interviews offices all over the country. Nearest office isn’t always an office that processes applications.
  • travelgran
    Options
    My grandson went for interview recently. He was asked about the person who countersigned his photo, how he knew her and her approximate age. He was also asked did he turn right or left to walk to school!
    A friend who originally had a non British nationality was asked the same question about walking into town and whether she grew vegetables in her back garden, not to mention how she spoke English so well.
    I mentioned the direction ones to a friend who said they were exactly the sort of questions asked of her mother when memory loss was being investigated.
    I think either big brother is watching us very closely, or they are looking at how hesitant or prompt your answers are!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Questions like "what is outside your bedroom window" and "what way do you turn to go to work" etc, what do they prove and achieve? How could the passport office possibly know the answers to them?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Questions like "what is outside your bedroom window" and "what way do you turn to go to work" etc, what do they prove and achieve? How could the passport office possibly know the answers to them?

They probably wouldn't have any idea if the answers given were correct but in reality they wouldn't be looking for the correct answer, simply the way that they were answered.

About 7 years ago, I flew into Charlotte NC in the USA and although I have a UK pasport, I have a Visa rather than an ESTA due to this passport having entry stamps from a few "dodgy" countries.

Because of the visa, I was taken into an interview office where I was questioned by an immigration officer who asked me loads of questions about my employment history. Some of these questions involved him asking me about the type of helicopters I was working on, how many engines they had and what type of engines.
    There was a good chance that he didn't know if the replies I gave were correct but he may have been more interested in my body language rather than my spoken language.
  • headsgone
    headsgone Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 27 February 2020 at 6:44PM
    Options
    Welcome to the prison called the United Kingdom. The only way to escape is to be interrogated by the Gestapo. But I refuse to be treated like a criminal, so no passport for me. I was sadly born in this prison and will therefore die in it.
  • Nannytone
    Options
    Do you realise just how ridiculous you sound?
    Being asked how I know the person that signed my passport form for me and what my mobile telephone number was is hardly akin to being interrogated.1 it is merely confirming my identity
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    headsgone said:
    Welcome to the prison called the United Kingdom. The only way to escape is to be interrogated by the Gestapo. But I refuse to be treated like a criminal, so no passport for me. I was sadly born in this prison and will therefore die in it.
    great UserName ;-)

The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure