PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What should I do?

Options
Hi Guys,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I'd really like some opinions.

I live in a rented house in a small cul-de-sac. There is a footpath at the end of our drive which connects us to the next cul-de-sac.

My concern is that there's an on call fireman who drives over the footpath (to avoid the speedbumps which are on the estate) at approx 20-25mph. He wouldn't be able to see if there's anyone around the corner and has narrowly missed hitting cars but I'm concerened about the kids that play outside (There's only 4 houses on our street but other kids come here to play)

The estate has only been here for about 2years so when we moved in the houses were brand new and when the housing association came round to do the snagging I mentioned this to them and they wrote on the snagging list that a bollard should be put into place. The building company refused to do this as it wasn't in the contract so the association just left it.

Other cars have started to drive over the footpath which is more like a wee lane as there are houses on either side of it but no-one is taking any notice of my concerns.

I've been parking the car in such a way that stops cars being able to get through but I don't want to keep having to do this...

Should I just keep complaining about it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid £7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan £260.00 saved
Nerd No. 1173! :j
Made by God...Improved by the The Devil :D

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd write formally to the Housing Association, to the Local Authority and to the letters section of your local paper (you can email them really quickly, I bet - it's the sort of thing that they are likely to print if your area is anywhere near like mine).

Think how bad you'd feel if something happened even though it wouldn't be your fault :( it's very wrong that people are now driving on the footpath and it's your civil duty to chase this up any way you can.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree with Doozergirl, do it formally and you have nothing to chide yourself for if anything does happen to a child.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • angelicmary85
    angelicmary85 Posts: 4,977 Forumite
    Options
    It's a little too close for comfort as there are 7 small family members who live nearby and I have 2 young kids of my own.

I just don't want the association to take action after something has happened, a bit like locking the door after the horse has bolted.

FIL is a ex-cop who says we should try to get photos but he's always to quick, we tried to get pics of the tyre tracks in the snow but they didn't come out very clear as it'd been snowing all day and they were partially covered by the time I noticed that he's driven through again. Our estate wasn't looked after in the winter as the council didn't want to clear the roads so if he'd skidded or something he would have had no control over the car.

There seems to be a general concensis around these parts though that it's acceptable for firemen to behave in such a way that is a danger to the public...The next town over where my parents live is full of loony fireman!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Options
    Arrogance is the one thing that really really annoys me. and this is is personified.
    Same as people parking on yellow lines, what makes them so special that they think they dont have to spend time finding a park like the rest of us.

Keep parking your car where he cant pass through. Go through the formal channels and persevere. good luck and keep us posted.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Colincbayley
    Colincbayley Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Find out who your local councillor is and invite him/her down to have a look.
    Also could you not stick a cone there for now or a wheelie bin etc. ?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2009 at 10:42AM
    Options
    a) Having a fireman living close by can be very-very useful (when your place catches fire)...
    b) You are gonna have to talk to the police re. driving on footpath: They will be in thick with the fire guys. So you'll probably need to put it in writing to get them to even take any notice. So I'd talkl to the local councillor(s)/MP as well first so there may be some support in place for you.
    c)
    when the housing association came round to do the snagging I mentioned this to them and they wrote on the snagging list that a bollard should be put into place.
    . I'd see this as very good news: The HA accepted there was an issue, but didn't sort it due to "who-is-gonna-pay-4-it". OK, go back to the HA a ask for a copy of the snagging list and that they put the bollard in. & let the councillor(s)know, and talk about being concerned about weee kiddies being hurt....

Sorry to hear your story.

Cheers!

Lodger
  • angelicmary85
    Options
    Find out who your local councillor is and invite him/her down to have a look.
    Also could you not stick a cone there for now or a wheelie bin etc. ?

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I would have liked to say yes to the cone or wheelie bin but I don't think they would last very long :rolleyes:
    a) Having a fireman living close by can be very-very useful (when your place catches fire)...
    b) You are gonna have to talk to the police re. driving on footpath: They will be in thick with the fire guys. So you'll probably need to put it in writing to get them to even take any notice. So I'd talkl to the local councillor(s)/MP as well first so there may be some support in place for you.
    c) . I'd see this as very good news: The HA accepted there was an issue, but didn't sort it due to "who-is-gonna-pay-4-it". OK, go back to the HA a ask for a copy of the snagging list and that they put the bollard in. & let the councillor(s)know, and talk about being concerned about weee kiddies being hurt....

Thanks Lodger, the guy in charge of coming round to do all the work that needed done told me that the snagging list was like a legal contract between them so surely they should have done something? We got sent a copy of the list that the builders got and I'm sure I've probably kept it (I don't tend to throw anything away incase I ever need it :D) so I'll dig it out.

Thanks for your advice
  • angelicmary85
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Keep parking your car where he cant pass through. Go through the formal channels and persevere. good luck and keep us posted.

Quick update...

Made another phone call to the housing society a few days ago but had no response...

How many times should I call before asking to speak to a person who might actually take me seriously? Would it be better to make a formal complaint in writing naming the people I've spoken to so far? I don't really want to get anyone into bother but it's the school hols now so there'll be alot more kids around.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I said when you asked to write formally!

If making calls before didn't work before, it's not going to start working now.

Write to them, write to the LA, write to the paper!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • angelicmary85
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I said when you asked to write formally!

If making calls before didn't work before, it's not going to start working now.

Write to them, write to the LA, write to the paper!

I know you did and but I didn't know who to write to as no-one seems to want to listen so I thought I'd try to speak to the clerk of works again to see if they were going to put the bollard in.

The LA aren't willing to take any responsibilty for the area as there is still a bit of building going on and they've said that until the building is all done and dusted then they wouldn't even be picking up litter or emptying the bins in the swing park, they didn't plough or grit the road when we had nearly 4ft of snow!

I'm not sure if writing to the paper would make a difference as no-one else seems all that bothered about the cars.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business