🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help with Humidity

Hi - I live in a house, built in 1920. It doesn't have rising damp and has an up-to-date damp proof course, and there have been a few extra air bricks fitted, but the level of moisture in the house is quite high.(The basement seems pretty dry though)

There is an air flow system fitted, but outlet is in bedroom, which makes it very cold, so have turned it off & use a ruby dry dehumidifier at present which is very good, but not really enough for the whole house. However, rather than have dehumidifiers everywhere, does anyone have any suggestions to improve moisture levels?

Many thanks in advance.


  • littlesnuggy
    littlesnuggy Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    A positive pressure ventilation unit would be ideal; it can be fitted in the loft to draw fresh air in under the eaves, warm it slightly and then gently push it through the property through a diffuser on the landing. It forces the moisture laden air out through the building's weak points. You don't get a draught, they're cheap to run and people often actually see their energy bills go down because drier air is cheaper to heat. One unit in the loft will sort the whole house, and get relative humidity to between 40-60% (the ideal range). Alternatively, you can get versions which just deal with an individual room and are fitted through an external wall.

    HTH, ask if you'd like further details
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good morning: Have you considered a mechanical ventilation/heat recovery system? The OH will be fitting a Recovair in our home in the not too distant future.


    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • CandleFan
    CandleFan Posts: 94 Forumite
    Hi there - Thanks very much for your replies. What kind of costs are involved with these systems? I know the one we already have (was already fitted when we bought house) cost about £1000! I would like the system to be throughout the whole house. Can you recommend anyone good to do this work? I'm in the south west of scotland. The positive pressure vent. unit sounds great - what's the difference with recovair/mechanical ventilation/heat recovery systems?

    Thanks again - C/Fan
  • CandleFan
    CandleFan Posts: 94 Forumite
    I currently have a system, cant find the docs with the details on it, but it uses a drimaster nuaire sensor to sense humidity levels and adjust accordingly, i think. It sounds similar to the ones you describe - its located in the eaves of the loft (as loft is converted) and has ducting leading to outside etc. (I assume to draw in fresh air). Maybe a solution to re-site the outlet from the bedroom to upstairs landing?
  • CandleFan
    CandleFan Posts: 94 Forumite
    Just had a look at it - the system is also called drimaster nuaire 2000 - do you know anything about it? Thanks a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards