Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Any SPARKIES out there? Light Question

New Post Advanced Search

Any SPARKIES out there? Light Question

19 replies 1.4K views
fraz_3fraz_3 Forumite
49 posts
Hi,

The downlights (ceiling mounted) in my spare bedroom kept tripping after about 5 mins of having them on.

Finally got up in the loft to investigate and wha appears to be the 'main' electrical feedwire via the transformer has scorched so part of it is black. So obviously some fire involved and lucky for me my loft didn't go up in smoke!

so my question. Is it possible to use the existing feed wire, if i get an electrician to remove the scorched area, and replum with a new transformer?

In a nutshell is the wire still ok to use or might it be damaged as a result of the short circuit?

Also what might have caused this problem?

many thanks in advance
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
«1

Replies

  • This is a difficult one.
    Has the wire become burnt before it gets to the transformer?? or is it after???
    The problem could have been due to poor wiring when it was put in (ie the insulation was cut causing a short). Without seeing it my advice would be to have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing. You can't really mess around with electric, it could be the best £50 you have spent.
  • beefsterbeefster Forumite
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    And get an RCD fitted, it will trip upon any fault and save the house burning down or you getting a shock.
    I save so I can spend.
  • i am a domestic electrician and have found on numerous occasions that low voltage transformers have melted, this is due to them and the downlight being covered in insulation, it is important to leave space around these fittings to allow the heat from the bulb to escape, otherwise it just keeps heating up and obviously the wiring and transformer are the first things to melt, remember also from jan 1st you cannot go messing with electrics in your house without being registered....its against the law.....looks like a pay rise might be around the corner for me..... ;D.........only joking about the pay rise........ :-[
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • beefsterbeefster Forumite
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Registered as what.............. competant?? Trained?? Passed some super new exam?? This is another load of un necessary red tape in most sparkies opinion.........

    Who will police it..... How will anyone know is I have changed a light fitting before or after Jan 1st???

    The reasoning behind it is sound but the method is farsical
    I save so I can spend.
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The reasoning isn't sound at all.

    People can do many, many dangerous things - many of which also expose others to danger.

    Amateur mechanics can botch up their cars' brakes, just as one example.

    So why the heck can't I do electrical work in my own house, when I'm a well meaning (and not completely stupid) amateur?
  • The new rules brought in under part p of the building regs will still allow a large amount of work to be done by the diyer. You will need a certified electrician if you are adding a new ring / circuit or doing certain alterations in the kitchen or bathroom..........theres still loads of scope of people to fry themselves.......
    if i had known then what i know now
  • beefsterbeefster Forumite
    730 posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    The reasoning is sound as it IS the case that many DIY ers bodge and overload electrical ccts....... a proven fact. Many DIY ers make basic mistakes which are life threatening and often hidden out of sight.
    I found 3 double sockets fed via a 12 ft length of 1.5mm flex in my latest house when I moved in!!!!!!!!!
    You can indeed carry on doing as you wish but will need certification when you sell the house or claim on any insurance policy should the house burn down!

    Do the job and get it tested after, would seem the way forward but I can see the cost of testing going through the roof. Personally I think they have gone OTT but the reasons are sound.... discourage the "I'll have a go" merchants on the grounds of Safety.
    I save so I can spend.
  • VHVH Forumite
    501 posts
    The Nanny State interfering again! Sounds like a great excuse to make money, employ inspectors and regulators, and charge people for certificates.

    Before you know it we'll have to go to cookery class to make sure we don't burn the house down, and tea-making class in case we scald someone with the hot water.
  • You can indeed carry on doing as you wish but will need certification when you sell the house or claim on any insurance policy should the house burn down!

    How will they know that this has been carried out after you had moved in ?


    Does smell of the nanny state. I'm an trained electrician but have not done any electrical work for years (apart from the occasional DIY in both my and others houses). Since I'm not certified does this mean that my City and Guilds certificates are now useless ?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support