🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

would you continue to do your current job for "free" ?

Options

Comments

• lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    If were talking about the British Airways scenario, they're asking people to work for free for say a month, but then as far as I understood staggering the wage decrease over a period of time. So say, they'd be £200 down on a normal pay packet or so for four months.

Those who are going to work for free are in reality going to stand a better chance of keeping their jobs in the redundancy that BA are planning. I think it was something like 1 in 5 would lose their job through either taking redundancy or being forced.

Personally, it depends on the company for me. If I was treat right by them then I'd want to help out anyway I could. Even if it does mean getting a cheap bus pass/taking my own dinner/making a few sacrifices for a few months. At least I'd stand a better chance of keeping my job and showing some loyalty to the cause. All under the assumption that they were a good company for me though!
  • -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    If were talking about the British Airways scenario, they're asking people to work for free for say a month, but then as far as I understood staggering the wage decrease over a period of time. So say, they'd be £200 down on a normal pay packet or so for four months.

Those who are going to work for free are in reality going to stand a better chance of keeping their jobs in the redundancy that BA are planning. I think it was something like 1 in 5 would lose their job through either taking redundancy or being forced.

Personally, it depends on the company for me. If I was treat right by them then I'd want to help out anyway I could. Even if it does mean getting a cheap bus pass/taking my own dinner/making a few sacrifices for a few months. At least I'd stand a better chance of keeping my job and showing some loyalty to the cause. All under the assumption that they were a good company for me though!

Agree with the sentiments but also how many people will face creditors who are not so charitable when they say they can't afford to pay that month's bill. Or maybe I should book a BA flight and ask them if I can pay in a month's time? You see them saying yes, 'cos I certainly don't?

What did BA's directors pay themselves last year? Again I ask, are they going to pay it back?
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    -BA- wrote: »
    Agree with the sentiments but also how many people will face creditors who are not so charitable when they say they can't afford to pay that month's bill. Or maybe I should book a BA flight and ask them if I can pay in a month's time? You see them saying yes, 'cos I certainly don't?

What did BA's directors pay themselves last year? Again I ask, are they going to pay it back?

Oh I totally agree. I think they've backed people into a corner, whereby they'll look at you more favourably when the redundancy comes around if you agree to work for free. It's better though than the way it's being worded presently whereby everyone is assuming people will go a full month without pay, something I know loads of people couldn't go with.

The again, these people could always go and work for Ryanair, they're always recruiting ;)
  • -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree. I think they've backed people into a corner, whereby they'll look at you more favourably when the redundancy comes around if you agree to work for free. It's better though than the way it's being worded presently whereby everyone is assuming people will go a full month without pay, something I know loads of people couldn't go with.

The again, these people could always go and work for Ryanair, they're always recruiting ;)

Indeed :) . Also wouldn't trust the word of a company the size of BA. They will get rid of who they need to get rid of. Looking favourably on people who accept the rule is outrageous. There will be people who simply can't consider it due to outgoings, yet they will single them out for redundancy. Utter disgrace......
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Tbh I dont think BA have much expectation of the lower level staff doing it.

They probably hope more of the senior managers will take the CEO's lead and work for free for a month. Those who dont are likely to be the managerial casualties in redundancy

Lower level staff will probably turn it down but wiill need to realise they face compulsory wage cuts and redundancy very soon.

Tbh whilst the recession is bad at the moment long term it could do an amazing amount of good and seriously cut the dead weight that exists in the econonmy
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm currently volunteering and really want to stop, they are starting to give me more difficult work and I find it uncomfortable an difficult. But I am sure the interviews I am getting are due to working here, and i can talk about it at interviews too and it sounds good, so I will stick at it
  • negg
    negg Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't work for free, no way! So, the BA staff are being asked to work for free...but that means they'll get nothing for all the hours they put in and for all the petrol or bus fares they have to pay to get to work. In other words, they are paying to go to work?

Where has all their profits gone from previous years? Will shareholders skip their dividend? Did the employees see the colour of the companies money when the going was good? No. So why should they work for free? They don't benefit in the good times but lose out in the bad - very one sided.

And technically, if the number of hours you work doesn't balance up to your pay packet in line with the national minimum wage, they are breaking the law.

(An exception to free work would be if you volunteer to do some charity work for the good or to help other people/animals in need)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    The poll does not really have meaning, as it does not reflect different circumstances.

In my current (self employed) role, I would and have worked for free. This is because my boss has been very good to me, and would make it up when times were better. Furthermore, I understand the highs and lows that small businesses go through, even when times are good.

In previous roles for corporates, I would not work for free. When I worked for one of the worlds largest comms companies, I asked for a small pay rise (my work went far above the role I was employed for). The divisional MD rang to tell me that it would not be possible as times were tough ... just as he was boarding a flight for a long weekend in South Africa!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They have an option to take unpaid leave, I would probably do that, or take reduced hours. I think in one financial year their earnings fell over £1 billion
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    I'd take unpaid leave. I'd happily take reduced hours. I'd certainly do something that cost me less, like working from home to save travel costs. Not sure if this would work for me, and I'm sure would not work for Air Traffic Control Staff for instance. And the more hours I work, the more money I bring in to the firm, as long as there is the work there to do.

I might work for free for a month, as my job is pretty good and although I think I could find another job, I'd be unlikely to find one as good that would allow me to stay living where I live.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport