would you continue to do your current job for "free" ?

Options
for those who are employed would you work your current job for free for up to a month?

:confused::confused:

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
Slimmer of the month February , March ,April

would you go voluntary to help out your company? 54 votes

yes
22% 12 votes
no
77% 42 votes

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wiil these people be able to get benefits/hb etc because they still have bills to pay

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
  • purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No but I'd consider unpaid leave..
  • robpw2
    Options
    purple12 wrote: »
    No but I'd consider unpaid leave..
    yes but how would you pay your bills for that month and surely 1 day of jk, huth, drs, is enought to drive you mad ..??:rotfl:

• Meenu
    Meenu Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    i would, i work in a supportive company and if they needed help i would
  • robpw2
    Options
    ok what if business doesnt pick up how long could they keep you on unpaid leave/voluntary work
    and if its more than a month how would you live ? its not like your going to get free food/ petrol/rent/bills/ for a month

• shiprob195
    shiprob195 Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2009 at 8:29AM
    Options
    I am a stay at home mum, so work for less than £125 per 4 weeks.

(Only joking)

:rotfl::rotfl:

If I was working for a company and it would mean my job was more or less secured at the end of the "bad patch", I would rather have unpaid leave, but if I had to work unpaid I would.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is just a very slippery slope to go down, and when it works for one employer, then others will try the same ploy.
    We live in dark times, where some employers will do anything to maximise their profits, even at the expense of their workforce.
    It is called GREED, and we need to recognise it for what it is.
  • -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    If a company has got to the stage where it needs to ask its workforce to work for free for a month, (putting the majority of them into mortgage arrears, bill arrears, strains on relationships) then I would say that the likelihood of it surviving medium to long term is slim to none. It would almost certainly have reached the point of no return, this recession won't be over in a month.

For the record my answer is no. This is in no way the same as voluntary work which I am a great advocate of.

Would the directors of said business be paying back the previous year's bonus? Selling off their mahogany office desks? Booking themselves into Premier Inns instead of Hiltons?
  • dc110
    dc110 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    I cant afford to do so so its kind of a moot point but

I wouldnt for my current employers

I probably would have (if i had been able to afford to) for my previous employers
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    with my current employer i already work 15 hours plus 'unpaid overtime' a week just to keep up to speed with my job and the ever dwindling number of employees so no way jose!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure