invoicing and receipts

Options
about to start my own business and if anyone can help how do i set up invoicing and how much roughly will it cost
Bargain Boy
No amount of money is worth more than good health

Comments

• BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many invoices do you think you might need to raise? I run my own business but have a small number of invoices of quite high value each, so I just designed my own invoice in Excel (I used an invoice from another company as a guide), and everytime I need to raise an invoice I just save it as a new file name with the date etc., enter the details and print it off.

Works with a small number of invoices, but other people will not doubt have better suggestions if you are planning to have to raise a lot of paperwork....

Good luck with the new business
    :j
  • DARYALS
    DARYALS Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    just stick to excel or word on your pc then you can always buy some invoicing software for large volume work. What happens if your business folds and yoy buy expensive software, waste of money??? Why not try looking for a FREEWARE or SHAREWARE invoicing / receipt program??
  • bargainboy
    bargainboy Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    at the moment i manage a smal business but i am going to go it alone all the invoices that come to me are very professional looking with company logo's etc on them the paper that is used it not standard paper but thinner paper some from a roll. basically i need something that looks professional with not so pro costs. will a better printer do ell in thee long run i have been to the business gateway etc and they rccomend using another small business that has been through them or everything and also networking if anyone is in web design or graphic design accountancy then please pm me for advice thanks
    Bargain Boy
  • rharper83
    rharper83 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    What is your line of business bargainboy? If you don't mind me asking.

If you are after something that looks 'professional' but on a cheap basis, you could always get some invoice pro-formas designed, and then simply print them out after amending them whenever you need to produce an invoice. You can get laser printers fairly cheaply now (colour ones from £150ish, or mono from £60ish) that will produce good quality output. However, it might be worth suggesting that you get some letterheads produced, in colour (it would be cheap to get them printed - I could find some places for you if you want me to) and then print onto these in mono the details of the invoice. That way, you can use the letterheads for other literature, such as letters, or quotations, etc.

I'm currently a uni student, but looking to set up my own business, so would be happy to help you out if you want someone to have a go at designing something for you. Just drop me a pm.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Word will produce a decent invoice for you - and a letterhead. Just about any business stationery you need.

I think the thing that makes it professional is the paper, though. You need something with a weave in it and/or a good weight - at least 90gsm.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • rharper83
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with you there. For a letter, yes, the paper is very important as it's part of the first impression. For an invoice though, it simply gets paid and filed away, and is more part of a record than anything else.

There are 2 sides of the coin though, and it would make sense to keep everything on the same type of paper to keep a consistent image running!
  • bargainboy
    bargainboy Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the replys i'm not going to say what my business is at the moment as i will be using an oppertunity that currently does not exsist in my area but is sorely needed and the more people that no about it the more people may get interested in the idea and reduce my oppertunity. no offence intended with the choice of privacy but i think at the moment it's better that way. as for you rharper83 then if you are going to start a business then maybe we could talk more through PM's but unfortunately today i am going to work in about 10 mins so i will get back to you tommorrow.
    Bargain Boy
  • rharper83
    Options
    I completely understand your decision to keep it private - if I was in your situation I would too!

Rich.
  • observer_2
    observer_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    try https://www.download.com , loads of free business software to try
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts