'What’s the ultimate luxury possession?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• brucie24
    brucie24 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I too had a hard time choosing (especially as I didn't notice the inc assoc costs!) but tbh a small cottage in Cornwall please!
  • debt_free_soon
    Options
    In the poll I would have the supercar, in real life, if I was lucky enough to win 500k..... I'd buy the supercar.

In fact, for 500k I'd probably buy several second hand supercars

F40 for about 195k
    Countach QV5000 about 60k
    California about 175k
    V8 Vantage Roadster 70k

500k would only buy just under half of a McLaren right now, so that's out!!
    Working through my debts one company at a time
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Picked the yacht, as that would give the most flexibility, but to be honest I think I agree with eileenfromplaistow.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • teddyco
    teddyco Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I voted for the helicopter! I would then fly it to Number 10 and set it down in front of the door and refuse to move it until Gordon Brown agreed to call a general election!
  • rinoa778
    rinoa778 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    A. A Supercar. High end, big engine, major grunt McLaren type.
    B. Holiday Apartment. A holiday home in southern Spain.
    C. A Helicopter. Four seater power-copter.
    D. Serious Bling. Real diamond & gold hardcore jewellery.
    E. A Yacht. Nice sunseeker type.
    F. Chalet in the Alps. Cute residence in a nice ski resort.
    G. Private Plane. Private propeller-engined plane.
    H. Total Plastic Surgery Makeover. Everything surgically possible for looks enhancement.

A- No. I'm happy with my small car thank you. I don't want people asking me about my car of which I won't know much about and look like a person with cash to flash but nothing to back it up with hmmph.

B- Best option for me. You can share this with your family and friends.

C- Why? You have to worry about parking at your destination hehe.

D Serious bling? I don't wear jewellery now. To be honest, fancy expensive stuff looks nice but I'd be worried about my security.

E A yacht. I guess I could learn how to rig it (that the correct term?) But alas, it's not really my lifestyle. It's just too rich playboy.

F Chalet in the alps. A good alternative to the Spain apartment if you like skiing.

G Private plane. It will cut your travel time but what about the planet? Parking?!

H The most disgusting option imo. I guess if all your bits are horribly distorted, someone would really appreciate it but it's definitely not for me. How can you recognise yourself afterwards? You might even reject your beautified self in the end (amongst others)
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
  • Gilla_2
    Gilla_2 Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    None of the options appeal to me.

Couldn't I just have the cash?
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot
    :hello: Good Luck everyone !:hello:
  • sheenaf
    sheenaf Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would plump for the YACHT and that would mean a saving on current holiday spending which I could spend on the real luxury that I dream of - a CLEANER - I loath housework and it robs me of time to enjoy my retirement.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    The holiday home in Spain, as I could put it to practical use as an investment - but actually, none of them appeal much. If I could choose any "thing" to spend that amount of money on, it would definitely involve a lifetime's supply of theatre and concert tickets :D

Failing that, another investment property - but one in a historic and culturally interesting city, not southern spain or in the Alps.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Mountain_Goat_2
    Options
    Can I have a VW camper van instead of a "supercar"? If not, then it has to be the chalet in the Alps.

Of course, like most people here I'd rather just have the cash - I'd start by paying off the rest of my debts, put the remaing £495,000 in a high-interest savings account and take some time to think about what I really want to do with it.
    "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves" (Sir Edmund Hillary)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0068
  • YANA
    YANA Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    It had to be the supercar.
    Nothing but an emergency would make me fly, sail or go abroad. So that rules out all but the car, bling and surgery. As I am a man and have no severe burns or deformity, that whittles it down to the the car.
    I'd rather have a Land Rover though. Much more useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure