We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moving G/F in, is it worth it?

OK first of i'm not trying top rip anyone off, I just want to know what moving my g/f in will cost me/us.

Is there anyone apart from CAB that i can go to and ask how moving her in will affect me as far as how much i get each week and other benefits i get such us housing and council tax, i suspect we will be worse off to some degree, which does not bother us too much but there is only a certain amount i/we can afford to loose otherwise we'll keep things as they are, and she'll only stay odd days here and there.

Hope i have made myself clear, if you need more info then feel free to ask.
«1

Comments

  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,292 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    You have not said which benefits you are claiming eg JSA, IB or ESA. We do not know what benefits your girlfriend claims or if she works.
  • healy wrote: »
    You have not said which benefits you are claiming eg JSA, IB or ESA. We do not know what benefits your girlfriend claims or if she works.
    Sorry I am on Incapacity benefit/Income support ( i get about £90pw) plus full council tax rebate and full housing benefit.
    My rent is about £100 a week and council tax is about £1,000pa

    My g/f gets no benefits what so ever, she earns on average about £600pm take home, this does vary but not by much each month, she does owe a lot of money, and about £180 of that goes out each month before she has spent another penny, I know the DWP will not take this into account and that is fine I have told her best thing as far as her bills is concerned is to seek advice from the CAB.
  • Your I/B wont be affected,your I/S will be as her income exceeds the rate of I/S for a couple,as a couple you may still qualify for some h/b and ctb on the basis of low income.
    However dont forget that 2 people really can live cheaper than one.
    As for the debt repayments of £180 per month she should seek help to sort this out.
  • OK thx this is a mine field and going to have to contact CAB to see how much we would loose as a couple and weigh it up against saving that would be made if she moved in.

    Thanks
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    woodbine wrote: »
    However dont forget that 2 people really can live cheaper than one.
    I think perhaps that you mean that two people can live more cheaply if living together than they can if living apart.
  • I think perhaps that you mean that two people can live more cheaply if living together than they can if living apart.

    I think maybe I did :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Moving G/F in, is it worth it?

    And they say romance is dead!
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    bobajoblad wrote: »
    OK thx this is a mine field and going to have to contact CAB to see how much we would loose as a couple and weigh it up against saving that would be made if she moved in.

    Thanks

    How sad a society when money means more then love, affection, companionship.....
  • char_student
    char_student Posts: 860 Forumite
    Why would you not want to go to CAB? I work there, whats wrong with us advisers!!! They can do the calculation as what you would get now, and what you would get then - a "better off calculation"
    :beer: If I say something you like....Please hit the thanks button :beer:
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Why would you not want to go to CAB? I work there, whats wrong with us advisers!!! They can do the calculation as what you would get now, and what you would get then - a "better off calculation"

    Sorry.... Completely and utterly off topic. :o......


    Hi Char_student. I know you are used to dishing out advice but would you mind if I gave you some? icon7.gifYour signature is the surest way to get people on here NOT to thank you. If you change it you can watch your thanks count rise to your heart's content. :p;)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.