Powergen New Prices from 31 03 06

in Energy
24 replies 3.1K views
13»

Replies

• mikemoatemikemoate Forumite
    414 Posts
    marybishop wrote:
    I recently switched to P'gen from BGas & Seeboard (I'd never switched before). Got comparison from uswitch.com which showed P'gen as being cheapest for my usage but then rang P'gen direct and the saving was even more. I queried this with P'gen who said that the comparison sites do get a fee for people switching through them so it's probably worth getting the comparison quotes then phoning the cheapest to see if it's even cheaper and switching direct with the supplier.

It's "horses for courses" I suppose. Quite honestly I wouldn't believe anything any of the suppliers tell me over the telephone and any of them would find it difficult to hold you to a deal untill they supply details in writing. When I telephoned Powergen to tell them I was switching I got the usual spiel but having my new prices to hand was able to go through them with their operative and they couldn't come near. The thing is that there are so many different rates to compare now, even with one supplier, duel fuel, online, paper bills, single fuel, capped rates and even differential pricing dependant upon when you signed up. I noticed from another thread that you had signed up for a capped rate with Powergen, maybe they compare well on this with other companies, but for me at least they are way off the mark on the uncapped, monthly direct debit tarriffs.

As much as it is a hassle I think the answer is don't be afraid to switch and switch again, and again and.....!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • US4US4 Forumite
    84 Posts
    I'm currently on Powergen Online pre Dec 05, and following the 1st Apr price rise have looked to change. Current estimate £945

Powergen Online post Dec 05 is currently £130 cheaper than my new tariff, but how long will it be before they increase ?

Npower/EDF beat this further both £215 saving, but this if for Npower SOL4 not SOL5, when will SOL4 increase, if I select SOL5 it jumps to £915, only £30 saving. EDF prices are still from Oct 05 for new customers, only current customers have increased.

Powergen confirmed they will change me to current cheaper deal, but when it increases will not move me to better tariff if pre Dec 05 is indeed better.

The 3 sites I have been on UKpower/Energyhelpline/Uswitch all agree the anmnual amounts.

But should I switch ?
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'v ebitten the bullet, on Energy Online Pre Dec, calculators put my savings at around £170 mark by moving to Npower on Dual fuel or the same by splitting over seperate companies.

It's a bit of hassle but I've opted to put Electric onto British Gas (with £20 from Quidco), prices are held until Summer, and if I leave within 12 months they charge £20(which Quidco have given me anyway), Gas has gone to NPower SOL4 (with £11 from USwitch via Quidco). Based on the current £170 savings, even with price increases I am covered for a bit, then I will just change again with another set of Quidco cashbacks. Even for 6 months , £85 is better in my hands than theirs
  • mikemoatemikemoate Forumite
    414 Posts
    US4 wrote:
    I'm currently on Powergen Online pre Dec 05, and following the 1st Apr price rise have looked to change. Current estimate £945

Powergen Online post Dec 05 is currently £130 cheaper than my new tariff, but how long will it be before they increase ?

Npower/EDF beat this further both £215 saving, but this if for Npower SOL4 not SOL5, when will SOL4 increase, if I select SOL5 it jumps to £915, only £30 saving. EDF prices are still from Oct 05 for new customers, only current customers have increased.

Powergen confirmed they will change me to current cheaper deal, but when it increases will not move me to better tariff if pre Dec 05 is indeed better.

The 3 sites I have been on UKpower/Energyhelpline/Uswitch all agree the anmnual amounts.

But should I switch ?

I saw in another thread a post from someone who had watched the SOL increases to try to gauge when SOL4 would increase. They thought it may be Autumn. If so I will look to switch again because even losing the £60, after a year, rebate, I calculate I will have saved. Powergen wouldn't move me to the current sign-ups rate. There is train of thought that wholesale prices may in fact reduce in the not too distant future, fingers crossed, but I don't suppose any of the suppliers will reduce prices, probably just maintain current ones a little longer!!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals