FairFX card -- acceptance problems

Options
beniamino
beniamino Posts: 54 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 11 June 2009 at 10:05AM in Flights, currency & car hire
I have a Euro FairFX card. I took it on holiday last year, and generally found it to be a good and cheap way to get travel money. However, on the French motorways (Southwest, around Toulouse), the card wasn't accepted by the card readers in the motorway toll booths, even though they had Mastercard signs up. This could be uncomfortable if one drove into a cards-only booth. Can anyone tell me why this happened? Is it possible to know in advance that a FairFX card won't be accepted? Thanks for any ideas!

Comments

• lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :hello:
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have the Fair fx card too, it needs to be authorised like a solo or electron so if the machine isn't connected to a phone line it can't get that authorisation.

Saying that Ryanair just did a manual card imprint for me to sign for my breakfast on a flight last year.

Pleased you mentioned it as I'm off to France in just over a week.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• beniamino
    beniamino Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Cumbrian Male! Now I understand the reason, I should be able to avoid the situation in future. I must say that FairFX's FAQ is rather misleading:
    'The Euro and Dollar FairFX Currency cards can be used anywhere in the world or to spend in any currency wherever there is a MasterCard® acceptance mark, including shops, restaurants, online or on the telephone.'

Have fun in France.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I couldnt use mine in The US for the prepaid fuel pumps, even tho the mastercard acceptance mark was on them.

Sometimes you need to put it through as a debit card not as a credit card to get it to work
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know what you mean about the fairfx website. I read a testimonial where the poster said they paid tolls with their's.

I have found that they answer questions very quickly if you email them.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family