Best broadband with parental controls

Hi,

A collegue just asked me what the best broadband package. with easy to use parental controls.

I was truly gutted and upset because I found myself saying AOL.
Please, please, tell me this isn't the case....

Tom
If you're feeling down, you must be holding a duck.

Comments

• Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't know of any other ISP's that have inbuilt parental controls apart from the dreaded AOL, but there could be some.

An alternative is to use any ISP and an installed parental control program, such as is discussed here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=156426&highlight=parental+control
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I believe some of the BTYahoo! packages have great parental control features with them for user accounts. Just having a look now and there are restrictions for web site access, email and messenger restrictions and accessing message boards, chat rooms etc. They also have an Online Timer to restrict the amount of Internet Access time allowed, kids can ask for permission to access restricted websites and there is a report card.

Each user can have seperate parental control settings (full, kids or custom) but they need a seperate account and email address on BT Yahoo so you need to make sure the package you select has enough additional accounts for each user.

There is some software that has to be installed to monitor all of this but I'm sure thats pretty easy and self-explanatory. (I don't use the software so can't comment, although I have heard good comments about it)
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Norton Internet security has great and easy to use parental controls
    All you need to do is create an account for yourself as an administrator then another account for the Kids and tick the boxes of what they can and can't access

Then the ISP isn't an issue

only a thought though
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tigermatt wrote:
    I believe some of the BTYahoo! packages have great parental control features with them for user accounts. Just having a look now and there are restrictions for web site access, email and messenger restrictions and accessing message boards, chat rooms etc. They also have an Online Timer to restrict the amount of Internet Access time allowed, kids can ask for permission to access restricted websites and there is a report card.

Each user can have seperate parental control settings (full, kids or custom) but they need a seperate account and email address on BT Yahoo so you need to make sure the package you select has enough additional accounts for each user.

There is some software that has to be installed to monitor all of this but I'm sure thats pretty easy and self-explanatory. (I don't use the software so can't comment, although I have heard good comments about it)

The BT Yahoo software and package is very good - best of all it comes free with even the free PAYG package. I believe you might be required to dial in via modem to the 0845 number every couple of months to keep the account active but that is a small price to pay. I do not know if they even check as I have gone for ages without dialling in ! Even if they dropped your account, you could easily create another !
    To infinity and beyond!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport