You have not been scammed/ripped off by Ryanair if...

Options

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    Options
    Moonchild wrote: »
    This is the best thread ever, well done, should be stickied, and capable of answering any Ryanair question ever.

Also with regard to the airport location the following 'scam' should be taken into account:

"The only way to get to Ryanair's airport (i.e. Treviso - Venice amongst many!) was by taxi or Ryanair's own bus, which was so expensive by the time i'd added this 'compulsory' charge (as so many of Ryanair's airports are not connected by decent public transport) it would have been cheaper to fly BA / BMI or a proper airline etc".

Also, is there anyway to work in 'For the 100th time, and no matter what the publicity machine Michael O'Leary says, Ryanair will NOT be charging for the toilet as they know that 40 !!!!ed stags will merely urinate on their seats, a lot more expensive overall'!

Thank you for the scam ;)

And I'll work that in somehow... won't stop people repeating it as gospel though ;)
    mira666 wrote:
    You have not been scammed if - your flight is cancelled and Ryanair don't put you up in a hotel for the night or offer you free food and drink

What should Ryanair actually do in this situation? I seem to recall that it's actually EU law that Ryanair should be putting people up/feeding them/etc - but is it?

Benjus - thank you for the information, it's been added :)
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 June 2009 at 11:23AM
    Options
    wardhart wrote: »
    Be careful when you book your flight and don't print off your boarding card at home until you are absolutely sure you won't have to change the flight. I found out the hard way being sensible I printed my boarding pass a full 15 days ahead as is allowed. Unfortunately I needed to change my flight a week before I was due to fly and found that I was not allowed to use my original outgoing flight fare against the new one booked as by printing my online boarding pass, I had, in their rules checked in on the flight. SO BEWARE! you can leave it till 4 hrs before you go if you are brave enough. Then of course on top of losing my outgoing fare I had to pay an extra £35 per person to change flight - this went up this week from £25 per person.

Yep good point.
    Similar also applies to rail tickets bought online, choose to pick them up from the machine at the station, instead of having them posted, then if you need to make any changes you can without having to post the tickets back and risk them getting lost in the post.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • mira666
    mira666 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options

What should Ryanair actually do in this situation? I seem to recall that it's actually EU law that Ryanair should be putting people up/feeding them/etc - but is it?
    :)

found this via google, don't know how up to date it is though

http://www.airsafe.com/complain/bumping.htm
    Cambridgeshire Based Photographer

Positive thinking will get you everywhere
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    mira666 wrote: »
    You have not been scammed if - your flight is cancelled and Ryanair don't put you up in a hotel for the night or offer you free food and drink

personal experience here lol

brilliant topic PBS

Accom, food and drink etc is usually only offered on delays, not cancellations.

Tip No 2Kazillion - always check the EU Regs regarding delays and cancellations, before quoting them incorrectly. ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

This is Ryanair's official position: http://www.ryanair.com/site/FAQS/docs/EU261.pdf
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    This is Ryanair's official position: http://www.ryanair.com/site/FAQS/docs/EU261.pdf

Maybe I should have taken my own advice...!

(thank you!)
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    15) You bought Ryanair scratchcards.

Heck, you've ALWAYS been scammed if you buy these!

V.good post OP, this needs to be compulsory reading for anyone who's flying Ryanair for the first time or who flies very infrequently with them.
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    London Stansted, London Luton and London Gatwick are 56, 51 and 45kms from Central London repectively, so maybe not just Ryanair that have imaginative names for their destinations !!

Absolutely. But the difference appears to be that those airports you mentioned are very well connected to London. I doubt the same can be said for all of Ryanair airports.
  • WickedWolfie
    WickedWolfie Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I have been critical of PolishBigSpender elsewhere but beleiev this is quite useful - well done.
    mira666 wrote: »

personal experience here lol

brilliant topic PBS

Scammed no, had your EU-mandated legal rights violated - very possibly!
  • mira666
    mira666 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    very possibly, but they would argue that in the case of extreme weather they are not liable, its just not totally clear from their own TLC's
    Cambridgeshire Based Photographer

Positive thinking will get you everywhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family