Forum Home» How much have you saved?

The Great "Extreme MoneySaving" Hunt: How far do you go? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

The Great "Extreme MoneySaving" Hunt: How far do you go?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
141 replies 54.3K views

Replies

• We spent our summer holidays on a farm a couple of years ago and the lady used to leave leftover food on our doorstep so the kids could feed the pig. One day she left a bowl of tomatoes that were ripe. That morning we had fried tomatoes with our breakfast! When everyone finished eating I told them where they came from and my family are no so MSE they thought it was funny and the kids said they enjoyed them! We still laugh about it now!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • edited 17 June 2009 at 8:53AM
    Desperate_Housewife_2-2Desperate_Housewife_2-2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 17 June 2009 at 8:53AM
    I don't mean to sound like a killjoy but some of the tips on here are not strictly legal or ethical, eg steaming off unfranked stamps to use again, taking stuff back to the shop when worn, sneaking people in for free to theme parks. Thats not what MSE is about, it gives us a bad reputation. I would rather do without. Lecture over.
    Total=£29,100
  • rospaxrospax Forumite
    26 posts
    For those who wear tights... always buy the same brand and colour. That way when you ladder a leg, instead of throwing the pair away, you can cut off the leg with the ladder and save it until you have another pair with a ladder, then wear two one-legged pairs together. Saves a fortune in tights.
  • ??!!!!:rolleyes: From a previous post 'Look through magazines in shops & don't buy them'...that is just WRONG!

Endless times when I've been on my other 1/2's 'magazine run' there's maybe just one dog-eared copy of heat magazine because all those tight b*****s have just stood there reading it. It's not a library-it's a shop!!!

Best tip is use loads of lentils/beans to spread out casseroles-or make Indian daal! The obvious ones-get to supermarkets near closing time for brill reductions on meat/fish....use the slow cooker or a pressure cooker (bacon & lentil soup-10 mins cooking time!)....try & get a breadmaker on freecycle & make own bread (saves a fortune!)...use frozen fruit for smoothies/topping on cereals...when making say soup/caserole in a slow-cooker double/triple recipe-freeze rest (if you put bits of greaseproof paper between casserole bags when you freeze them you can mould the casserole bags together & save freezer space-greaseproof paper stops bags sticking together)............I could go on!

I certainly would not raid bins for say meat/fish/fruit....say meats reached it's use by date & is sweltering in 70 degree + heat....no thanks! Rats/mice etc could have been in there & done their 'business' in bin...(!yuk!)Prefere to get to shop just before closing time & pay really low price for still cold/fresh food!
  • digit_2digit_2 Forumite
    17 posts
    I cut up my old (clean!) white cotton knickers that are past wearing... and reuse them as hankies...then they get washed and reused. Saves a fortune on tissues as I have hayfever. I only use them at home on my own though, OH doesn't even know!!
    never thought I would see someone else refer to old washed cotton knickers with the gusset and elastic cut away. Done this for years. Husband and son swear by these as cleaning cloths for their cars and since we own our own plane (which is like cleaning and polishing two extra cars) they are always in demand.
  • digit_2digit_2 Forumite
    17 posts
    rosip wrote: »
    For those who wear tights... always buy the same brand and colour. That way when you ladder a leg, instead of throwing the pair away, you can cut off the leg with the ladder and save it until you have another pair with a ladder, then wear two one-legged pairs together. Saves a fortune in tights.
    I too have further uses for tights after they have been worn finally with the one leg. Fill with compost and tie. Poke more holes in them and plant either with seeds from last years nasturtiums or any plants you happen to be splitting up. I have even used strawberries. Lie tights flat until plants become established. Then either hang from fence posts or trellis or lay flat alongside a concrete path where there is no soil and cover the tights with gravel. Done it for years and old tights cut into strips are perfect ties for plants and eventually rot. Now this is true recycling.
  • Someone mentioned taking food from allotments as a way to save money...

Yes it would, but the people that have allotments are often doing it to try and save money themselves. I'm an allotment holder myself and would be devastated if someone came in and nicked my produce that I had spent ages tending.

Taking what isn't yours shows little respect for other MSEs, especially when they have put the hard work into growing things. If you want produce, grow it yourself.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I'd be ashamed of myself if I stole from someone else to 'save money.'
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell items online and if the buyer is local, I hand deliver it to save postage, eg on Greenmetropolis, you don't get paid for postage unless it's a heavy tome, so it's not like I am ripping the customer off either. Tomorrow, I'm dropping off a book to someone who bought from me, whose address I walk directly past on my way into town anyway.
  • Someone mentioned taking food from allotments as a way to save money...

Yes it would, but the people that have allotments are often doing it to try and save money themselves. I'm an allotment holder myself and would be devastated if someone came in and nicked my produce that I had spent ages tending.

Taking what isn't yours shows little respect for other MSEs, especially when they have put the hard work into growing things. If you want produce, grow it yourself.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I'd be ashamed of myself if I stole from someone else to 'save money.'

'hear hear' I second that. Welcome to the forums inspector google :)
    Total=£29,100
  • SenjoSenjo Forumite
    18 posts
    HappySad wrote: »
    Its amazing what people throw out. Even me will make wrong purchases & give away brand new never used stuff. I try to let some of my friend know to think of me before they get rid of things.
    Absolutely HappySad. We have a Sony CRT widescreen TV and Sony freeview box with stand and cupboard under that a friend's dad was going to take to the dump because he was getting a new flatscreen TV. It works perfectly. With everyone buying flatscreen there must be loads of free CRT TVs and computer monitors going.
    * Check out your local Freecycle group on the web and also Recycle.co.uk.
    * I also wash my hands in cold water even in winter since having a new combi boiler last year, rather than have it fire up just for that.
    * Switch off the microwave at the plug instead of leaving it to use electricity just to display the time.
    * If you have a cooker hood, think if you need the light on in it every time you use it. It soon becomes second nature to switch the light off if it's not necessary.
    *Supermarkets are not the cheapest for lots of food (never mind the fact that they seem to pack meat such as chops in 3s when you only want 2). I buy fruit & veg cheaper in the greengrocers and luckily have an excellent local butcher so if I just want, say 1 slice of ham, I can get it.
    *Make Do and Mend is an old fashioned but good motto. People these days will throw clothes away rather than repair them. My OH drives me mad though by insisting on keeping so many old bits of wood, cable, wire, plugs etc.