The Great "Extreme MoneySaving" Hunt: How far do you go?

Options

Comments

• rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They throw what doesn't sell on a Saturday night because by Monday (unrefridgerated) they would go off.

If you are not as cocky as me, please try asking the boss if you can collect his throwaways at closing time.

Tell him that you have pigs to feed, or something, if you like. (Might not be far from the truth :)).

Tell him that you need the fruit to start of the fermenting process for your beer. (That'll work).

I bet if you ask nicely he will accomodate.
    Remember its the EU and the H&S bunch that forces him to dump it.

He would far rather it went to good use.

I was blessed that my Dad was a greengrocer and the dates that he used to sell had no relation to the more modern sellbydates.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My lodger has handed me a bundle of clothes she does not want. How exciting seeing what I can get for free!!!! :0)
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    Keep stuff for ever and look after it.
    • Habitat wardrobe over 20years old. Bought in the sale.

Oooh, 20 years isn't that old :p!

I've got, and still use:
    - a habitat rubbish bin bought in 1980 (29 years old)
    -my original dining table & chairs bought 1984 (25 years old)
    - a bookcase from the mid-1960s (45-ish years old)
    -my parents' small table built by grandad in 1956 (53 years old)
    - My gran's piano, def. pre-war!
    -the desk from grandad's shop (bought second hand in the early 1930s so
    70+ years old)
    (and plenty more, including a lovely refurbished cabinet from grandad's skip diving days)

Quite a marathon on polishing day (extreme cleaning= free exercise;))
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2009 at 1:24PM
    Options
    Some brilliant tips on here. Here are some of my penny-pinching ways...

Given up conventional cleaning liquids and gone retro - vinegar and baking soda are brilliant for cleaning and eco-friendly too.

The only things I won't give up are my Ecover washing up liquid and toilet cleaners (cos they're good and green). Even so my local health-food shop has signed up to their Refill Station scheme so now I can refill my bottles and save money :j

Make my own soup. 1 butternut squash and a couple carrots makes 4 lunches for me! Also salad dressings (balsamic vinegar and olive oil - doesn't have to be the dear stuff), healthy pasta sauces (how simple!) and bread are easy to make. Long life milk - lasts ages without going off. Since I only use a little for breakfast one carton lasts 2 weeks.

Use free samples from magazines instead of trial-size versions of things for holidays and weekend breaks. If you don't have any get little bottles (cheap from chemists) and decant.

Bought a 1970s Kenwood mixer off Ebay - at least £50 cheaper than an equivalent modern day one. It's just like my mums and hers has never had a problem.

Not exactly extreme but def. well worth it. Got an unlimited cinema pass. Use it twice per month and it pays for itself. Means I get at least 2 nights out with my fella each month so it's well worth the money (and good for those of us not on Orange/able to go only on Wednesdays!)
    Simples! :beer:
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    Oooh, 20 years isn't that old :p!

I've got, and still use:
    - a habitat rubbish bin bought in 1980 (29 years old)
    -my original dining table & chairs bought 1984 (25 years old)
    - a bookcase from the mid-1960s (45-ish years old)
    -my parents' small table built by grandad in 1956 (53 years old)
    - My gran's piano, def. pre-war!
    -the desk from grandad's shop (bought second hand in the early 1930s so
    70+ years old)
    (and plenty more, including a lovely refurbished cabinet from grandad's skip diving days)

Quite a marathon on polishing day (extreme cleaning= free exercise;))

Wow you have really kept your things for a long time. I love old furniture.. :0)
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • toby3000
    toby3000 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tip to renters- check the inventry. It's possible that some of the ufrniture was left by previous tenants- I have a lovely bookcase aquired this way...

I think that furniture should easily last a long time, it's a very modern idea that you should change it frequently
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »
    Wow you have really kept your things for a long time. I love old furniture.. :0)

My parents bought at auctions (late 1950s) as they could not afford modern furniture - their parents bought their furniture with cash so it HAD to last (and did ;)).
    Pity DH is so hard on upholstery :rolleyes:
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's the thing....in the olden days, things were built to last more so than today; I have an electric whisk which originally belonged to my great-grandmother and it still works fine. If you look after your things, they should last. I have had more trouble with modern stuff, eg Sony Discmans which never last more than a year in my possessions.

I now walk to AND from town to save on bus fares and only drink soda water, sometimes with lime in it, to save money at the pub; 40p a pint, you can't go wrong!!
  • Dandy_Lion_2
    Options
    im saving hard for my new car i only have 1k left to save now, i work 9 hour shifts so to save money i always take sandwiches and bottles of water which i also fill a couple up at work, i drive at 60mph on the motor way and get an extra 2-3 days worth of petrol which is great. i dont draw money out of my bank because i know i will spend it i use my card if i need to. i smoke so i roll my cigs half the size to get double the amount. i walk when i can instead of using the car for short journeys.
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My (40 year old) bike needed a new saddle recently. The bike shop had them for £19.99. I was visiting the tip and there was a bike just about to go in with a lovely lookikng saddle on it......I spoke nicely to the man in charge and he got out the hacksaw and sawed it off for me...wouldn't take a penny.:j
    Nobody laughs (well, not more than they did at the squeaky old bike, anyhow)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure