Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• Myzdamena
    Myzdamena Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    dobs wrote: »
    Mind you, he had my email details so where did they get that from?!

They don't have to have actually got it from anywhere. I get piles of scam emails every week and some of them the 'to' field has something that's close to (but not) my email address so some of them will just send out thousands and thousands of emails hoping that some will hit the mark and people will believe them

:mad:
    :j A-well-a bird, bird, bird...b-bird's the word :j
  • mammaju
    Options
    I had a call 2 days ago ive won a holiday for 4 to tenerife/algarve i had to ring 0800 number with a reference number i was told only when we are ready to book to pay £29.50 per person for admin but we had to go for a two hour meeting to get the paperwork yeh right!!!
  • courtwick
    Options
    Hi, If you look under seasons holiday scams, you will find reference to a fine
    of £12,000 against seasons holidays bought about by Carmarthenshire Council trading standards. Should be evidence enough to beware of greeks
    bearing gifts!
  • bondgirl_2
    Options
    Hi

Looking for some advice. I have had a voicemail message saying that 2 minute draw.com have some good news they want to share with me about a prize draw that I entered just before Christmas for £5000.

Is this a scam? I have read a lot on here and other sites about "free" holidays from 2 minute.com and it is time share thing although can't find anything about cash wins.

Can anyone help?
  • Starliteprism
    Options
    This might answer your question:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=513206

I always google the companies name or contests that I am unsure of, followed by the word "scam" Sometimes that helps.
    Jan wins-Madame Tussauds ticket, Sex Drive & Bride Wars movie, Feb-Hotel for Dogs, Young Victoria, Mar-Hush, Watchmen, Marley & Me, X-men Blueray screening, The Boat That Rocked tix Apr-Coraline tix, Incredible Hulk, 22" TV, £100 Asda voucher...

Keep it coming!:p
  • scaty
    scaty Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I had a call from someone - couldn't catch the name of the company - saying I had won a holiday to Spain or Portugal. But strangely when asked about husband/bf, I said none at this address my phone went dead. :o

Obviously I don't have enough ££££ to be of any interest to the scammer.:rotfl:
    [STRIKE]Fed up of being kippered by kids - new resolve - the NO word. Still at this[/STRIKE] Dam they struck again!!
    Stay focused on the bigger plan - :rolleyes:
  • PeterPan1952
    Options
    My wife received a mailshot today from Survey UK, addressed to "Ms/Mrs" (no name given)
    The content was the same as the previous posting, except that the phone number was local to us in Milton Keynes (01908 980007) and, below the opening hours was the handwritten code "ATC 9765". What a waste of everybody's time. It is going in the bin:angry:
  • xmommasx
    xmommasx Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I often get those so called you have won emails....you always know there a scam when you continue to read down to where it asks for all your details...i mean please,,wouldnt they just need your addy to send out your prize....why would anyone want your bank details, your date of birth,your country,your email address (funny cus they already know that!)I always google the address they give or the email address and ten times outta ten its a scam!apparently i won the british lotto yesterday! haha
    mine for 2009 member No:328
    wins in 09: horse earrings,nintendo ds game,Notorious goodie bag,
  • orchid233
    Options
    I recieved an email today to say I had won a bwm plus 750 pounds plus 1 years insurance. The email said numbers had been randomly given out to email addresses and I had to either ring or email back with various details like name address age.....no bank details. Does anyone know if this is a scam or have I really won!!!!:T
  • xmommasx
    xmommasx Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    No orchid233 its defo a scam,,i received an email last week with the similar details in except i had won an audi R8!!! (yeah right),,my sister lives in skegness and she rang me telling me she had won a peugeot (cant spell it hehe) it took me ages to convince her it was a scam,,she googled the whole email and that explained alot to her,,most MSE's are very helpful and kind and will always point you in the right direction if you feel you dont know the answer,,i find this place the best!
    mine for 2009 member No:328
    wins in 09: horse earrings,nintendo ds game,Notorious goodie bag,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport