PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Storage heating

Options
I've started on my latest round of viewings after my gazumped episode. I've found a 2 bed flat I like in Aberdeen and the only issue I can spot with it at the moment is the storage heating. My Dad rented a flat with storage heating about 15+ years ago and has been trying to put me off the flat as a result because he said his flat was always cold. For background info, it's a 3rd floor flat surrounded on four sides by other flats (one above, one below and two on either side).

So my first question is, does anyone else here have a problem with storage heating? I'd read that if it was used correctly, i.e. the output was turned off when the flat is empty, then there should be sufficient heat, but I have no experience of storage heating to say if this is correct. Also, what kind of problems do you have? Is it just a little chillier than you'd like or is it full-blown 'sitting in the living room with a hat and coat on' type of thing? How much are your bills rougly since I know storage heating is very inefficient?

Secondly, I've searched the net for info on installing gas central and whether that's even possible for this flat but haven't found anything useful. Does anyone know if it's possible and if it is what the approximate cost would be (as far as I'm aware, none of the other flats have GCH so pipe work might be needed)? I'm guessing it's expensive!

Either way, due to the nature of my work, I'll be living in the flat for a maximum of six months per year so I guess that's better than freezing for a whole year!

Thanks for any help you can give!
Cat
xx Park Road, Aberdeen - gazumped over a measly £3k (hope it was worth it) - May.:confused:
xx Castle Terrace, Aberdeen - offer rejected - June. Went to closing but I was away with work and missed it. :( Flat actually sold for £5k less than I had offered - suckers!

Comments

• sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a top floor, 2-bed flat, with a storage heater in each of the lounge and the spare room.

My place has always been warm enough. The spare room gets a bit cold and could do with it's own heater but it's mainly used for storage so not really a problem.

I had my storage heaters replaced a year ago. For the lounge, I moved up to the biggest one (they come in three sizes). Prior to that, I did have to use a free standing convector heater on winter nights.

Personally I've found storage heaters fine. The downside is you have to heat them up to max overnight in winter for the heat to then last until the following evening. So overnight it's pretty warm.

The output thing is a bit pointless - even if the output is on minimum the outside of the heater still gets very hot. It's not like you store heat, the thing feels cold, then you up the output and it all comes out. All the output does is open the lid above the concrete bricks so the heat coming out increases a little.

My electricity bill is about £80/month but that's averaged over the year. So in the winter my quarterly bill has been as high as £350 I seem to remember due to the heating.

My previous flat was 1st floor and the top floor is definitely warmer. I think your heaters will be fine, but you may find you want to replace them with larger ones and they are not cheap. I had a mate who's an electrician install them but 2 heaters still cost close to £1000 to buy.

I don't think there will be a way to install gas. For a while, all flats were built with electricity only so there'll be no supply to the building. I'm also not sure if the freeholder would allow you to install a gas supply.
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2009 at 12:06PM
    Options
    I've had storage heaters for the past 7 years. I don't like them but I've never really been cold.

The problem is that they are hot in the morning colder in the evening. On full power the room gets to an uncomfortably hot 30 degrees in the morning and drops to 21 degrees before they start charging. That's a big issue in a bedroom, so you keep it cold which in turn leads to damp problems.

This is in a solid wall, very old building with a huge cellar. I expect them to work better in something with insulation.

Edit: Electricity bill £70/mo for 2 bed ground floor flat
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If none of the flats have GCH then there probably isn't gas to the building, more common in 60's/70's buildings when electric was really cheap.

The flat I know of with storage heaters is on ground floor but has neighbours each side and above, its never been cold even in mid winter with the heaters turned off. The storage heaters work fine but you do need to keep all the doors shut to keep the heat in the rooms. So be careful of how the bathroom is heated!

With storage heaters you should have Economy 7 so ensure you check the tariff you are on also if your not around for 6 months you should get a tariff with inclusive standing charging.

Also ask LL/LA if there is any info on how much the electric bills have been.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I lived in a rented flat with storage heaters and didn't like them at all as it was chilly in the evening and needed fire on. Also missed being able to dry/air clothes on radiators.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Scabs
    Scabs Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I previously had storage heating and like other posters say it can get a little chilly at night. I have also lived in northern Scotland and realise winter can be baltic so I would think you would need some further form of heating for these winter months
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou for all those replies. They were really helpful. I think considering I won't be around at least six months of the year then the storage heating is probably something I can put up with. Oh well, second viewing tomorrow... I'll have a look to see how big the heaters are, etc.
    xx Park Road, Aberdeen - gazumped over a measly £3k (hope it was worth it) - May.:confused:
    xx Castle Terrace, Aberdeen - offer rejected - June. Went to closing but I was away with work and missed it. :( Flat actually sold for £5k less than I had offered - suckers!
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dad has storage heaters in his house and the electricity bills are massive and i don't think they heat as well as gas does.
    Married 09/09/09
  • Berkshiregirl
    Berkshiregirl Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I have a two bed second floor flat (with one above me) and storage heaters on economy seven.

My electricity bills are £25 a month or there abouts. I'm in the South, so winters are more mild, but while storage heaters aren't my ideal they work fine. Sometime you need to put a thicker top on in winter, but that's no realy hardship.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    We've just moved into a flat with storage heating, I posted a thread on the Utilities board and the posters over there were very helpful in terms of how they work, how to make them most efficient and how to avoid massive bills. I think you have to be careful with them definitely, but other than that I don't see them as an issue and they definitely wouldn't put me off living somewhere.

Scottish Power are supposed to be good for all-electric flats, that's who we're with and they've estimated our DD at £45 a month based on usage of other customers in our building (most with SP) with regular meter readings every 3 months.
  • Evee2000
    Evee2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The EPC will give you an idea of running costs for the flat - have you seen a copy of it.

Which position is the flat in - ie, do you have a flat below/above you? This will assist in cutting down on heat loss, so the flat might keep the heat for longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure