Quickie, what do you see as a fair exchange to the $US

where we are now, in the 1.60's
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gozomark wrote: »
    where we are now, in the 1.60's

Cool, at 1.60 I'm 22 pounds an ounce up, but at 1.69 I'm 74 pounds an ounce up. :j

Totally screwed if pog collapses under $860. :eek:

Go sterling, go. To da moon.
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    people then start asking questions about just how far it can go and will the £ be the strongest currency in 2009 ? ..LOL

Basically the £ was grossly oversold 2008 and is now being bought back up to fair value. Expecting vastly more except against the Euro would not be fundamentally justified - agree. £ will probably remainthe strongest currency in 2009, as even if it goes nowhere from now to new year, its so far ahead already that it would take a big fall to lose its gain year to date.

:beer:
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hasnt gold in £ risen in the last 40 days. silver has I think
    I havent got a chart or symbol for gold £ really
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2009 at 3:54PM
    Options
    does every thread have to be turned into one about gold ???

this is about currencies, and £ in particular. I've nearly given up on this forum a couple of times because of the gold bugs taking over evey other thread, and now its happening to this one.
  • DiggerUK
    Options
    hasnt gold in £ risen in the last 40 days. silver has I think
    I havent got a chart or symbol for gold £ really

I've bumped the gold thread with a reply. That's the proper place for my reply.

Gozomark,
    Following forex is a crucial indicator for me, my interest in your thread was, and remains genuine.
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever the cause of the strong rebound it is most welcome, let's hope it lasts for a while.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just wondering, would the National debt of UK Government if it get too high or investors are no longer willing to buy Bonds, how would it affect the Pound Sterling? :confused: Also, How does the value of currency change in exchange market? It is like Supply and Demand or something else? I know that Pound sterling is good at the moment but I just want to know why it is so good at the moment :)
  • DiggerUK
    Options
    Joe Crystal,
    There is a body of opinion here arguing that sterling is returning to a more balanced position.

This is a piece by Liam Halligan from last weekends Telegraph that warns of dollar weakness as he sees it.

It does give you pointers to your question about government bond sales.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/liamhalligan/5413107/Bond-vigilantes-set-for-rebellion-against-the-Wests-wasteful-ways.html
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    Also, How does the value of currency change in exchange market? It is like Supply and Demand or something else? I know that Pound sterling is good at the moment but I just want to know why it is so good at the moment :)

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/forex/how-forex-exchange-rates-set.asp

It's a lot due to fear.
    US dropped due to the mortgage crisis - but not by that much as it's big and has a manufacturing base.
    UK's banking crisis and escalating debt and lack of resources frightened people so sterling dropped by too much.
    This year we've seen a correction - and also probably gaining from lack of faith in other currenceies.

I think it's probably overvalued but people are looking to diversify to reduce risk. What happens now depends on who has the next crisis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure