Missing Faster Payment from HSBC to Lloyds

Options
I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I haven't explained the problem very well!

Can anyone help with advise about what to do about a missing payment using the faster payment service?

I have been using this service between my HSBC and Lloyds TSB account for at least the last 3 months with no problem – money is always credited within minutes.

On Sunday 31 May 09 I made a transfer of £1200.00 using faster payment from my HSBC account to my Lloyds TSB account. I have the confirmation/authorisation that the payment was sent on 31 May 2009 at 15:33:37

I checked Lloyds TSB at approx 20:00 and the monies had not been received.

I made another transfer (just to see if this one worked) for £20. This payment appeared in my Lloyds TSB account within minutes.

Phoned HSBC (around 20:45) to query where payment of £1200 was. Was advised it had definitely left HSBC and could arrive over night, but if not they could put a trace on the payment in the morning.

I phoned HSBC this morning and they have put a trace on the payment and will let me know the outcome.

My real worry is that 3 of my DD from Lloyds TSB have now been returned and I will incur at least £60.00 charges. Do I have a case to recover these charges from either HSBC or Lloyds?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you explain the situation to LLoyds they most probably will return the fees. Most probably.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My understanding is FP is not a guaranteed service (certainly not from the Halifax) so you should allow upto 4 working days for the transfer to happen. Also May 31 is Sunday then clearly is not a business day and I am not certain what affect that has on the availability of FP?
    Like Lokolo my view is Lloyds may waive the charges this time, they wouldn't be obliged to.
  • espali
    espali Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 1 June 2009 at 10:38PM
    Options
    It seems strange that my £20.00 FP was instant but the larger amount has gone "missing". I do know HSBC were having internet problems over the weekend.

Hopefully I'll hear back from HSBC re the trace tomorrow and I'll post an update.
  • Just_landed
    Just_landed Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would you let us know the outcome, Im interested. Cheers
  • espali
    Options
    I phoned HSBC this morning and spoke with a really helpful Customer Services Agent.

She told me HSBC had quite a few problems with all systems on Sunday and the info she has is that things were sorted at around 15:45. Approx 24000 payments have been timed out but most had been credited back to HSBC accounts.

A specific person was dealing with my transfer and was still trying to find the payment. My case was put on high priority which should speed things up and they would keep me advised of any progress.

I asked also asked who to contact about the fees I would incur by Lloyds TSB. The Agent advised me that as the non payment of the faster payment was an HSBC error, she would raise this issue and send a request for the fees to be paid to me.

Later this morning I received a tel call from another really helpful person at HSBC who advised me to send in notification of bank charges from Lloyds TSB (copy of bank statement) and that this person would process the refund of the charges.

She also advised me that £1200 should be credited back into my HSBC account by close of business today and that she will call to tomorrow to check it has been paid back in.

I’ve just checked my HSBC account and the £1200 hasn’t been credited back in yet – so hopefully this will be sorted tomorrow when I receive the tel call from HSBC.

I'll keep you posted.
  • steve3000
    steve3000 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I've just checked and exactly the same thing has happened to me - I made a payment of £1100 from my HSBC account on Sunday afternoon and it's not arrived in my Barclays account yet.

Been on the phone to HSBC just now - they don't know what's happened to the money and mentioned about the problems on sunday - so they're putting a trace on it which apparently takes up to 7 days they said!

Good luck with yours - let us know how you get on,
    Steve
  • espali
    Options
    I would keep checking with them. If the £'s hasn't been credited back into your HSBC account or posted to your Barclays by tomorrow I would give HSBC another call.
  • mars_2
    mars_2 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Also May 31 is Sunday then clearly is not a business day and I am not certain what affect that has on the availability of FP?
    QUOTE]

I made a transfer on Saturday from First Direct - A&L and it went through in minutes, so I am not sure if working days count.

But I would try to make sure there was a working day between money going in and money going out again just in case.
  • mrposhman
    mrposhman Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar thing between A+L and Natwest. I made a payment on Friday and it only arrived today, it normally takes a much shorter time than that.

Maybe there was an overall problem with all banks faster payment systems this weekend?
  • steve3000
    steve3000 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    :) Only a couple of hours after my call to HSBC and the money appears to have been credited back to my account (my 'available balance' has increased by £1100, although nothing is actually showing on the transaction list yet).

Just goes to show you really need to keep an eye on these banks!
    Cheers,
    Steve
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family