PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A new offer from nowhere... URGENT HELP

Options

Comments

• mikee_j
    mikee_j Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    thanks teokcc. I have been told that the 850 bid is from a cash buyer, in a similar position to myself. I'm not in a chain either, nor is the new bid.

With regards to the long completion date, i have agreed to 3 months!! This is because i'm in a position where i'm not in a hurry to move and it helped the negotiation. The house also needs some work so it gives me the time to get quotes and organise builders who can then begin work on the day i get the keys. How do i (if i wanted to) change the conditions of sale to reducing the completion date to, say, 1 and a half months?

I think he right play is to speak to the EA early tomorrow morning and play hardball, i.e. i need a decision by the afternoon or else i'm out.

edit: it is a great house, but it does need work done to it. i'm not too attached to it yet.
  • nearlynew
    nearlynew Posts: 3,800 Forumite
    Options
    mikee_j wrote: »
    here is my situation. I put an offer in for £820k (asking price £875k) on a house 3 weeks ago which was subsequently accepted at £825k. The sellers wanted a quick exchange but with a long completion so that they can get sorted to find rented accommodation in between finding somewhere else to live, especially as they have a big family to organise moving. I agreed this and was one of the main reasons i got a good price for it. Apparantly is was under offer a few months back for £850k but that fell through.

Now with excahnge date agreed for this Friday and new offer from nowhere has come in for £850k!! the EA clims it to be someone who viewed the house 6 weeks ago. The vendor has been contacted and been informed of the offer and have chosen to sleep on it until tomorrow!! Personally, i would have thought they would quickly say no to the new offer and get on with things. Why is this allowed to happen!??!

What is going on here??
    Something doesn't feel right and its put me off the whole deal alltogether.

Please, i'd be graetful for any advice on what is going on here. I'm very tempted to pull out of the whole deal tomorrow. Is this practice normal?!

argghhh... this bloody system the country has is apauling and it doesn't help when i don't believe a word the EA is saying.

I'll tell you exactly what is going on here.

You are dealing with chancers who have heard about the "spring bounce" and are trying it on.

With the type of money you're talking about you are obviously either clever or lucky.

Use either to your advantage. Hold your ground.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether they are genuine or not" -
    Albert Einstein
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This happens a lot, people view houses, when they are not procedable, or look early on, view others over several weeks, and come back to the first house that they saw.
    Then ring the agents who say its under offer, they say they want to offer anyway......by law that offer has to be forwarded to the vendor. then its up to the vendor to decide whether to coninue wih the offer they have on the table or to Gazump......Nothing to do with the agent.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • mikee_j
    Options
    pawpurrs wrote: »
    This happens a lot, people view houses, when they are not procedable, or look early on, view others over several weeks, and come back to the first house that they saw.
    Then ring the agents who say its under offer, they say they want to offer anyway......by law that offer has to be forwarded to the vendor. then its up to the vendor to decide whether to coninue wih the offer they have on the table or to Gazump......Nothing to do with the agent.

I can understand that, but can an EA tell someone what a house has gone under offer for? surely not?!? Thing is, if someone makes a bid say £5k or £10k higher then the vendor is more than likely going to say no and carry on with my purchase. however, £25k extra is going to get them thinking. How has this new bidder based his decision to bid 850k? has the agent been saying things he shouldn't, or are the new bidders really honestly bidding 850 with no idea of the level which it is under offer for?
  • mikee_j
    Options
    ... and there is no way i'm increasing my offer.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They shouldnt disclose the offer really no, bu they have to you? So whos to say they didnt to them?
    If it was me, I would hate to Gazump anyone but 25k is a lot of money, so as you say it has them thinking, the least they should do is allow you to match i, thats if your interested in doing so, if they are considering he other offer.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • nearlynew
    nearlynew Posts: 3,800 Forumite
    Options
    ... and there is no way i'm increasing my offer.

Good for you.

Call their bluff and when they come back to you in 2 weeks offer 10k less than you did originally
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know whether they are genuine or not" -
    Albert Einstein
  • Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll never know the facts so stop theorizing.

What you need to do is decide if you want to up your offer to £850K and a) get bum raped by the EA and vendor (assuming the other offer is not real) or b) accept that that's the price you need to pay to get the house (assuming the other offer is real) OR stick to your guns and call their bluff.

Buying can get so emotive that our business sense can often go out of the window. Only you know what the house is worth to you!
  • twokcc
    twokcc Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    t

With regards to the long completion date, i have agreed to 3 months!! This is because i'm in a position where i'm not in a hurry to move and it helped the negotiation. The house also needs some work so it gives me the time to get quotes and organise builders who can then begin work on the day i get the keys. How do i (if i wanted to) change the conditions of sale to reducing the completion date to, say, 1 and a half months?

Not sure(other poster will correct if I am mistaken) but I believe that once you have exchanged contracts it is legally binding so unless you specifically want to, would leave completion date as per original- unless seller wants to ammend it.
    My own gut feeling is that it is a try on - if you accepted what the estate agent had advised no doubt his response would be that you would have to better the £850k offer to secure the deal, house prices have still got a lot further to fall so if the deal doesn't proceed it may save you money or you good get an even better house in another 6months time. The EA will try to say the market is recovering, just say that although current figures show there is a pickup there will be another 1million unemployed by 2010 which will bury any green shoots.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    A deal at this level is very different from your £200k deals.

For example £25k extra on £825k is 3%

on £200k @ 3% its £6k - some people would not want to lose a house for £6k

At this level there is a lot less 'good stock' about.

Perhaps the vendors know this - or perhaps the house they want is £25k more than they want to spend.

Its all speculation.

There is also the hidden influence in the background the real decision makers and deal breakers 'the wife'

The purchasers wife sometimes wants the house so badly and the vendor sees that.

Similarly the vendors wife may not be happy with what they have found to rent or buy.

Its all speculation but I would sit down with the EA and look him in the eye - I would know if he is lying or not- and then make my decision
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure