Car Tax

Options
Anniek1969
Anniek1969 Posts: 470 Forumite
My car tax is due up today and we recived our renewal about 3 weeks ago through the post. DH went to the PO today to renew it and was told that although the DVLA renewal states £101.75 for six months it went up in the budget to £104.50.

How can they send you a renewal stating one price but when you go to pay it the amount is wrong?

Why didn't the renewal have the new price on it as the budget was in March?

It's a complete rip off, they send you a bill for a certain amount but when you go to pay it they have put the price up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• sandford6016
    sandford6016 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Car tax full stop is a rip off!
    :T If you don't have anything sensible to say, don't say it! :T
  • Anniek1969
    Options
    Yeah I meant to add that to my original post. It's a complete rip off.
  • FluffityBunny
    FluffityBunny Posts: 222 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the car tax prices went up from the 1st May, so when your renewal document was printed the systems wouldn't have been updated in time, stupid system but isn't that what all government department are like
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Agreed - mine expires today too - renewed it online - saves queuing at the PO. Don't understand why they couldn't get the paperwork right either. I put it down to beauracracy of gov't depts. Everything takes about 6 mths to filter through! They're quick enough to take the money off you though.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there, I had this problem when i went to tax my car earlier in the month.

If you look on the renewal document under the phone number/web address there is a paragraph in red.
    This basically says that the prices were correct at the time of printing, but there are changes in fees which MAY mean a different rate is payable.

When i went to tax my car, I was told that the DVLA can print renewal documents upto 6 weeks prior to sending them out!
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anniek1969 wrote: »
    My car tax is due up today and we recived our renewal about 3 weeks ago through the post. DH went to the PO today to renew it and was told that although the DVLA renewal states £101.75 for six months it went up in the budget to £104.50.

How can they send you a renewal stating one price but when you go to pay it the amount is wrong?

Why didn't the renewal have the new price on it as the budget was in March?

It's a complete rip off, they send you a bill for a certain amount but when you go to pay it they have put the price up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a matter of minutes to renew on line rather than having to find all your documents and trail to the post office.

Why is car tax a rip off? Dont you drive on the road, The funds are for the upkeep of the roads. If we didnt have road tax we would still be driving on dirt tracks.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Its a matter of minutes to renew on line rather than having to find all your documents and trail to the post office.

Why is car tax a rip off? Dont you drive on the road, The funds are for the upkeep of the roads. If we didnt have road tax we would still be driving on dirt tracks.

if they spent all the revenue they got from road tax then our roads would be gold plated.
    do you actually know how much is made in VED and how much of it is actually spent on our roads?
    ...work permit granted!
  • Anniek1969
    Options
    As you say Carol there is alway something in print that gives them a get out. Surely it should be treated in the same way as any other bill, you pay what it says and that's that.

Car tax should be completely scrapped anyway, it's only another way for them to get more money out of you. What do you actually pay it for? Some of the local roads I use are in a terrible state. Too many people still seem to manage to dodge paying it even though they've brought in new systems to trace them.
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »

You obviously haven't been to my town. Most of the roads have dirty great potholes in them (and I'm not exaggerating) and the congestion is appaling. I fail to see where all that money goes. It certainly does not go on road maintenance!
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • Anniek1969
    Options
    Of course I drive on the roads but if you could see our local roads and the amount of holes in them then you would wonder why you pay yours. We have a road to the back which is our only entry/exit which has never been tarred in the 35 years I have lived here. There are numerous holes around 6/7inch deep and you feel that you are on the dodgems trying to avoid them, they don't maintain the roads and always leave things until they have too.

But like I said if all car owners paid road tax then fair enough but there are still too many that slip through the net.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure