primus free evening/weekend calls with 1899/18185???

Options
Anybody understand why a couple of calls are slipping through the 1899/18185 net and getting charged by Primus??

I have an orchid dialler. I only have Primus set for evening and weekend calls. All other calls are either routed via 1899 or 18185. But for some bizarre reason, certain calls are getting routed to Primus, when they should be routed to 1899/18185 :confused: Anyone had the same trouble?? I can't fathom it.

Comments

• helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    I do know you are supposed to dial number immediately after dialling the prefix, so maybe you leaving a break :confused: Only a thought like :o
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Anybody understand why a couple of calls are slipping through the 1899/18185 net and getting charged by Primus??

I have an orchid dialler. I only have Primus set for evening and weekend calls. All other calls are either routed via 1899 or 18185. But for some bizarre reason, certain calls are getting routed to Primus, when they should be routed to 1899/18185 :confused: Anyone had the same trouble?? I can't fathom it.
    Failed call + a redial within 20 seconds sometimes fools the Orchid so that it fails to 'time of day' route.

Could that be it?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    Failed call + a redial within 20 seconds sometimes fools the Orchid so that it fails to 'time of day' route.

Could that be it?

hmm possibly I guess. I will check with the e-bills from 1899 and 18185, and see if any calls where made one after another. The calls in question on my new Primus bill were to o2 incidently.
  • Heinz
    Options
    hmm possibly I guess. I will check with the e-bills from 1899 and 18185, and see if any calls where made one after another. The calls in question on my new Primus bill were to o2 incidently.
    I hasten to add I've no personal experience but I seem to recall a post saying that (or it may have been redialling within 10 seconds) - but I can't find it now.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    Options
    No worries Heinz, I'm always up for checking out possibilities. So thanks ;)
  • Heinz
    Options
    Well, it's not exactly the same but THIS POST is probably the one I remember.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup, that was me.

My problem was slightly different. One Sunday evening my wife was ringing a local number which should not have been routed, as OneTel do not charge weekends, but we found it added to our 18866 account. Bizarre:eek:

I also found my dialler was not kicking in if a number was engaged, for example, and I tried to redial the same number. This was evident in the dialling tone going louder (the Orchid has the effect of quietening the dialling tone somewhat) and not getting the "zero pence per minute" message from 18866, when it should have been routing the call during the daytime.

I would advise contacting Orchid, as I did. A new shiny dialler arrived the day after.
    Options
    Thanks Nicholas.. and have you had no problems since???

I'm not sure if it's my dialler. I've had the dialler for approx 9 months now, and from my Primus bill, it's probs happened about 6 times or so.

I'll check my 1899/1815 invoices first, and if all else fails I'll contact orchard.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Nicholas.. and have you had no problems since???

I'm not sure if it's my dialler. I've had the dialler for approx 9 months now, and from my Primus bill, it's probs happened about 6 times or so.

I'll check my 1899/1815 invoices first, and if all else fails I'll contact orchard.

No problems since I have had a new dialler. BTW, have you signed up for caller display? I am asking as Orchid now recommends having the optional power supply on BT lines with caller display. When I asked them about it, they said that it only affects some exchanges. Weird. I do not have the optional power supply and I am OK now, but it is just a further thought to get to the bottom of your troubles.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    We also had a dialler that was letting the odd call slip through the net because during the daytime our calls were meant to be routed via Call1899 but the odd one wasn't routed and therefore we got charged because the call was carried via our CPS supplier, OneTel.

I noticed this one day because whilst dialling a number, I never heard the dialler prefix 1899 before the number I dialled but when I redialled this time the dialler routed the call via 1899 because you can hear it dial the extra 4 digits.

Orchid kindly sent out a new one next day and a SAE for returning the old/faulty dialler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure