declined hardship fund- advice needed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
15 replies 2.7K views
2»

Replies

• TorbyTorby Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    wow....£11k a year untaxed.....and you struggle....

halls....flat share....2nd hand books or library....

your mum...isn't relevant...live the student life....find a flat share...you could probably save £100 -£150 per month...share utility bills....as I see it your biggest problem is living where you are at the moment....you are probably in a better position than a lot of students, especially those where family income is negligible and parents cant contribute...and the student can't find work...so you're immediately £400 a month better off....definitely leave home...
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• Patrick20Patrick20 Forumite
    754 Posts
    I agree with Torby here you should move to a cheaper flat and share. A student shouldnt be in a £450/month flat. Contact your uni and see if you can get student accomodation. Since your mum has went to live with your sister, and given no thought to your welbeing, I suggest you forget any loyalty to her needs at the moment. Concentrate on your own survival because thats what you have to do, you have to put yourself before other people in situations like this.
  • hunkenhunken Forumite
    16 Posts
    There are a few things you need to do ASAP:

Move to shared accommodation.

Check with the gas company if they allow you to pay by installments.

Review your travel expense. How come you are paying £4/day to travel? Could you find someone to liftshare. Is your uni within cycling distance? A decent bike costs about £50.

Don't buy books, borrow them. But if you must, buy it from people the year above. Through out my course I only bought 2 books and it cost me £15 for both from the student intranet selling/buying/wanted section (instead of £30-40 each in the uni bookshop).

After this year you might need to sit down and working out your budget a bit better. I got paid almost the same as you and will come out of uni with a saving and can afford to quit my job early and go travelling before my PGCE
  • BargainGaloreBargainGalore Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before you answer bare in mind the op hasn't been back since they posted this some 17 days ago
  • TorbyTorby Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Before you answer bare in mind the op hasn't been back since they posted this some 17 days ago

which is typical of a 1 off, just registered to post user, who is financially better off than a lot of people
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides