We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lloyds TSB - Unbelievable

Options
2»

Comments

• never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Right maties - off for a bit, catch you both laters - have a good night.
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • Parki_2
    Parki_2 Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right maties - off for a bit, catch you both laters - have a good night.

Be good! No getting stoned in the week ;p
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    We have a LTSB Airmiles duo credit card and hubby is the main account holder with myself as the additional cardholder. As it is usually me who deals with all the finances, in December last year we asked LTSB if I could be authorised to be able to speak to them about the account ie any queries etc. They sent out a form which was the wrong form (they sent out a request to add a cardholder). Anyway we eventually got the right form, filled it in with "option 2" which would give me full access to the account. We phoned in Jan 2009 and was told they had received this. Today I phoned with a query and was told they couldn't speak to me as I wasn't the main account holder....
    Whilst I've no wish to defend LloydsTsb's poor handling of the situation, it does sound as though you're swimming against the tide.

Couples cannot hold a credit card jointly, as I think you realise. As the principal cardholder, your husband is solely responsible for the debt. The account and statements are in his name only. For security reasons, banks do not normally allow additional card holders to interfere.

If you wish to take charge of some of your outgoings, why not apply for a credit card in your name and preferably with another provider? Then share the bills between you. This arrangement has lots of advantages. Apart from anything else, everyone should have at least one back-up card, IMO (especially if you travel away from home frequently.) ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Moggles wrote: »
    Whilst I've no wish to defend LloydsTsb's poor handling of the situation, it does sound as though you're swimming against the tide.

Couples cannot hold a credit card jointly, as I think you realise. As the principal cardholder, your husband is solely responsible for the debt. The account and statements are in his name only. For security reasons, banks do not normally allow additional card holders to interfere.

If you wish to take charge of some of your outgoings, why not apply for a credit card in your name and preferably with another provider? Then share the bills between you. This arrangement has lots of advantages. Apart from anything else, everyone should have at least one back-up card, IMO (especially if you travel away from home frequently.) ;)

Thanks for that. We do have other credit cards but our main one is LTSB as we collect Airmiles, hence my reason for wanting to stick with them. Our LTSB is the only account where I am not the main card holder.

I totally understand that the fact hubby is main card holder etc. I worked for Halifax for 20+ years so I know exactly how they work. However, they obviously have a system to let you around this problem which is the so called authority form that they sent us as explained above. This wasn't a letter we completed, it was one of their authority forms. In fact is was their suggestion that we filled in one of these as one timewhen I phoned, had to pass to hubby for security etc so one of their own staff suggested it.

So, whilst I totally understand what you are saying, my view is if they have this authority form to allow me to discuss the account, why now are they saying we need POA??
    The best things in life are free.....
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a reason your husband cannot deal with his own affairs?
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    Is there a reason your husband cannot deal with his own affairs?

Absolutely not, it is just something I have always done - probably through working in a bank for 20 odd years, was always keeping on top of my accounts etc. :rolleyes:
    The best things in life are free.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport