Car Hire Report - Faro Airport - AirAuto via Economy Car Hire

Options
AIRAUTO - CAR HIRE - FARO AIRPORT - REPORT

Have justed returned from Portugal and for the first time booked a car, with AirAuto, via Economy Car Hire in the UK, the experience is not one I will be repeating, and just wanted to make people aware how important it is to thoroughly check hire cars.

We finally received a vehicle after waiting 75 minutes from first completing the forms at the new portakabin in car park 4. I was told that they had a number of vehicles delivered back late and there would be a 15 minute wait whilst they were being cleaned.

After 30 minutes I get the keys to a Peugeot 107 - on finding the car the front near side tyre has two "lumps" missing out of the tyre wall - I go back to the desk to advise the car is not acceptable, could the tyre be changed - no response, just huffing and puffing

2nd car offered is a Yaris - which the front tyres have no tread on - I get told by the representative that "it's OK in Portugal, the police don't mind" - I refuse this car - at which point the rep is getting agitated to say the least.

I took the third car as the best thing about it was that all four tyres were intact and had tread.

When hiring cars, do take the time to check not just the cars bodywork, but the tyres as well - because to make the situation really make my blood boil, was once I received the 3rd car, whilst still checking it over (albeit the rep had gone), another couple made their way over the to first car I was given and start loading their luggage, I went over to point out the tyre issue, needless to say they hot footed back to the rep to also decline this car. How on earth they can give out a vehicle once this kind of damage has been pointed out to them beggars belief.

I have previously rented directly or via Economy Car Hire with TravelRent and always been quite happy and only tried AirAuto as for the first time they were coming out cheaper.

Comments

• Jonstewart
    Options
    I always considered that when you look for cheap you can't get a good service or product. Car hire is not an exception. When you see the price of cars, fuel, maintenance, insurance and everything else increasing how you can understand that car hire prices are going down? Something doesn't match, does it?
    I know what you talking about. I travel to the Algarve at least 3 times a year and I soon realised that it it is not worth to go with these cheap algarve car hire companies. If you compare Algarve car hire prices with the ones in other countries you can see a big difference. Why? All the other are dumb?
    If you do the math and you know the price of a car and everything involved you will realise that you cannot even dream with any profit hiring cars at 60 Euros or less per week. How can you run well maintained cars?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure