Help with BA Tickets/Opodo Booking

Options
Hi

I and four others have purchased return British Airways flights from Heathrow to Jeddah (Saudi Arabia).

We all purchased these tickets from Opodo, who have recently told me my tickets are INVALID if i am going to Saudi Arabia for the pilgrimage on a pilgrimage visa. They refuse to take any responsibility, despite not stating anywhere in their terms and conditions that these tickets have visa restrcitions of any sort. In fact, I booked my ticket first, and the others in my group booked theirs after me once I clarified with Opodo and British Airways by telephone our tickets will be valid for the Umrah pilgrimage.

The confusing thing is, when i call BA, they tell me everything is fine and the reason as to why i am travelling to another country is irrelevant and in no way could me ond the others be refused to board the plane just because we're going to perform pilgrimage in that country. I even have a recorded conversation with BA. However, BA refuse to confirm this in writing.

I do not know what to do! I cannot go at the airport and if the worse comes true, be sent back home.

What can i do about Opodo selling me this ticket without specifying such information on their terms and conditions?

If this is INVALID, isn't this discrimination? Without any extra service whatsoever, BA are charging extra if someone is intending to go for pilgrimage for the same seat as someone who is travelling for business or any other purpose.

Comments

• nw_man
    nw_man Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    How will they know what you are going for if you simply turn up and board the flight ?
  • doodi_dealer
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

They will know why i am going to Saudi Arabia because i will have a pilgrimage visa on my passport.

I have been doing my own research and speaking to travel agents. I've learnt this is a 'scam' which has been going on for years. You can buy tickets for airliners like BA and BMI to Saudi Arabia from anywhere you like for the cheapest deal you can find. However, if you're going to Saudi Arabia for pilgrimage, you have to buy your tickets from an appointed agent called Masterfare, who charge you a couple of hundred pounds more for the same seat as everybody else. There is no reason as to why charge you more, except plain discrimination. Well, a money making scheme actually.

Opodo have given me the above information as well. They told me i was supposed to buy my tickets if i want to go for pilgrimage from Masterfare; and they told me their tickets are only valid for lesuire purposes. This is non-sense to me. A ticket is a ticket. An airliner has no business with why i am travelling and cannot charge me more or invalidate my ticket based on the reasons why i am travelling!

I have called Consumer Direct who have told me if our tickets are invalid, then i have a good case to take British Airways and Opodo to court, because its invalidity was not specified anywhere on the terms and conditions. BUT, how can i take multi-million pound companies to court?! :confused: I'm a STUDENT:mad:
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it is anything to do with the airline knowing your business but it is down to your visa restrictions.
    When you get a visa for whatever reason to whatever country it is up to you to know the restrictions on that visa.
    travelover
  • nw_man
    nw_man Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, sorry I didnt realise you will have pilgrimage visa on your passport.

Good luck.
  • doodi_dealer
    Options
    Hi

There is no visa restriction from the Saudi Embassy of any sort in relation to this.

Saudi Arabia don't care less about how i get there, i could swim it there for all they care. The only thing Saudi cares about is whether i have a valid visa or not once i reach their shores.

Even if i have a valid pilgrimage visa, according to Opodo my ticket is just invalid; because it is not compatible with an pilgrimage visa. The problem is with BA. BA apprently will just not let me on the plane.
  • deegee999
    deegee999 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a con, you only need a valid passport to leave the country surely it is only in saudi that they will check visas?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have another valid passport without the pilgramage visa?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Have you spoken to the Saudi embassy ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • doodi_dealer
    Options
    I will get in touch with the embassy, who are closed at the moment. Although i already know this is nothing to do with the embassy.

I only have one passport, which i will take with me to T5 Heathrow when i travel. I just want to find out if i'm going to be sent home on the basis of having a pilgrimage visa, even though it will be a valid visa from the Saudi Embassy.

I have spoken to BA numerous times, and they have told me on the telephone everything is fine and i have even recorded one of those conversations. However, they refuse to confirm this in writing. The last letter i received from customer relations said, we can confirm your flights but we cannot confirm it will enable you to join the pilgrimage. Which makes no sense!

If anyone could advise me which avenues i could take to get the result i want, i would be really grateful. All i want to know is if my ticket is valid or not in writing. If it is invalid, then i'll take it further from there as that is another matter altogether.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anything here http://www.hajinformation.com/main/p10.htm that may help
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure